Main Site Forums Holonet Tools About
Forum Index Rules Log in Search Profile Memberlist Usergroups Log in to check your private messages Register
Population of the Earth
Star Wars: Unity Forum Index » The Cantina » Population of the Earth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sayede
dudop

Post Posted: Sat, August 07th 2010 04:34pm    Post subject: Population of the Earth

So you know how everyone seems to think everything on Earth can expand indefinitely, namely the population? Well I decided to calculate exactly how may earthlings we can pack onto this planet. Prepare for TL;DR numbers.

I took the Earth's surface area, 510,072,000 square kilometers,
and the highest altitude a normal person can easily breathe at, 3540 meters above sea level,
then drastically assumed that at some point the Earth would be rendered flat and free of oceans, multiplying these two to get 1,805,654,880,000,000 meters cubed. That's 1.8 quadrillion.
I then compenstated for oceans, multiplying the surface area by 0.29 before factoring it into the equation (yielding 523,639,915,200), and also compensated for terrain by reducing the 3540 to a round 2k (yielding 1,020,144,000,000, compensating for both yielded 295,841,760,000).

So, I then generated a very extreme figure by not only using the value for space with no compensation but also assuming that every person on Earth will be packed into a tiny cell where they can hardly move and nessecities like food and water will be provided automatically in a way that uses minimal space and recycles everything with perfect efficiency. I put this at a miniscule 16 cubic meters per person. :twisted: so I divided the huge number by 16 to get over ninety trillion people living on Earth.

To make things more realistic, I tried using the fully compensated figure and giving everyone more space. So I divided 295,841,760,000 meters cubed by 300 meters cubed, equalling 986,139,200. LESS THAN THE CURRENT POPULATION OF CHINA. WHAT DID I DO WRONG?

I'm thinking perhaps I shouldn't have divided a cubic value by another cubic value?
 Back to top »
Ams Jendob
Moff

Post Posted: Sat, August 07th 2010 04:40pm    Post subject:

Three hundred cubic meters is giving each person their one-story, 100 square meter (1076.39104167097223083335055559 square feet) personal space. :p

Expand

----"Moff", CMAC Dreamcrusher, Official Administrative Waldorf and Statler----
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Sayede
dudop

Post Posted: Sun, August 08th 2010 12:38pm    Post subject:

I reduced the space per person to 80 meters cubed, and now it's 3,698,022,000, which is still less than the Earth's current population. I just don't get it. :(
 Back to top »
Ams Jendob
Moff

Post Posted: Sun, August 08th 2010 01:38pm    Post subject:

They still have a one story space a little over five meters on a side. There are lots of crowded places in the world.

Expand

----"Moff", CMAC Dreamcrusher, Official Administrative Waldorf and Statler----
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Star Wars: Unity Forum Index » The Cantina » Population of the Earth
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: