Main Site Forums Holonet Tools About
Forum Index Rules Log in Search Profile Memberlist Usergroups Log in to check your private messages Register
Jundland Wastes
Star Wars: Unity Forum Index » Tatooine » Jundland Wastes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daegon Selanno
Cheapy

Post Posted: Wed, September 08th 2010 02:06pm    Post subject: Jundland Wastes

Quote:
The Jundland Wastes were a dry, hot, and rocky region that was located on the desert world of Tatooine. This remote area largely consisted of a number of canyons that wound their way around a number of large mesas and was situated near the Dune Sea. The nomadic Tusken Raiders and the Jundland Waste Womp Rat inhabited the area and in the native parlance, "Jundland" meant "No Man's Land". Several layers of rocks within the Wastes were tilted indicating graben formations. They also contained magnetic deposits which obscured sensors.

"I applaud your efforts. And now that you've insulted me, called me a heretic, threatened to burn me and questioned my gender, I'm completely on board." - Jess
 Back to top »
Daegon Selanno
Cheapy

Post Posted: Wed, September 08th 2010 09:15pm    Post subject:

The silence of the canyon was somehow more unnerving than the cry of a hundred Tusken Raiders would have been. Mal and Kaor had thoroughly scouted the area where they were to meet Flax and reported that aside from a few womp rats and a snoozing adolescent Krayt in the adjacent canyon, the area was devoid of life. The sun was starting to dip over the edge of the cliffs, casting long shadows almost to the other end of the canyon as Daegon’s partners returned from their final sweep of the area.

“<We are alone,>” Mal reported as Kaor slung his slug rifle over his shoulder and perched on a rock in the shade. “<The Krayt is in a deep slumber. If all goes according to the agreement, we will be long gone before it awakens.>”

Daegon nodded and propped a boot on one of the crates sitting on the ground in front of him. One was lying open, revealing the contents: dozens of vials of pescalin-32, a rare medical drug that was almost as hard to find nowadays as synthesized bota plants. Three crates of the stuff would be worth a small fortune on the black market…and ten percent of that fortune would go to Daegon and his crew for snatching it in the first place. Briefly he wondered if Flax would try to cheat them out of their share and simply ambush them, but he shook the thought off. The Trandoshan wasn’t that stupid. Killing the three of them would gain him nothing except their comparatively measly shares, and would lose him the potential to make a larger profit from future jobs.

Nonetheless, Daegon rechecked his belt to make sure his weapons were still ready.

He’d decided to take Mal’s advice and cannon up for this meeting…discreetly, of course. In addition to his slugthrower, he’d brought a hold-out blaster in his sleeve, a pair of thermal grenades disguised as spare power packs for a blaster, and a spherical thermal detonator. Mal had brought his bowcaster and ryyk blades, while Kaor had opted for his rifle and a simple dagger…although to be fair the dagger was mounted on the rifle as a bayonet, allowing the Kaleesh hunter to use it in close combat if necessary.

They didn’t have to wait long for Flax and his men once they had settled in. Within minutes Daegon heard the faint hum of a landspeeder curving through the twists and turns of the canyon, and a few seconds later he spotted a medium-sized repulsortruck round the corner at a fairly good clip. The vehicle slowed to a halt about twenty meters away, resting on a flat patch of rock as its side hatches opened up, disgorging half a dozen thugs armed with blasters. The bunch was a mix of humans, Gran, and a Rodian…and all of them looked ready for a fight.

Behind him, Daegon heard Mal growl softly, and he half-turned to see the big Wookiee fingering his lowered bowcaster. “Easy, buddy,” he cautioned. “Flax is probably just bein’ careful with sunset so close. Sand People’ll be roaming about soon.” Mal nodded, but he kept his grip on the weapon’s stock as he eyed the truck and its entourage. Daegon sighed and turned back in time to see Flax hop out of the passenger’s side of the vehicle. As the Trandoshan crime baron landed on the rocks, his prosthetic leg clanked, a sound that repeated every other second as he slowly strode forward. Flax was dressed in a loose-fitting spacer’s jumpsuit, making him look more like a bounty hunter or mercenary than Mos Eisley’s biggest gangster…a mistake Daegon knew others had made when dealing with Flax. A mistake that had cost most of them their lives.

As his men spread out slightly from the speeder truck, Flax halted half a dozen meters from Daegon and spread his arms. “Ah, my bessst runner,” the reptilian being hissed in accented Basic. “You are late.”

“Really,” Daegon said flatly, arching an eyebrow. “I seem to recall this being the time you said to meet. Change of plans?”

Flax tilted his head, the Trandoshan equivalent of a shrug. “You are later than I would like,” he explained. He glanced down from Daegon’s face to eye the three crates of pescalin. “Isss thisss all of it?” he asked expectantly.

Daegon nodded, hooking his thumbs in his belt. “You can check if you want.”

Flax barked an order to one of his goons, and the Rodian hurried forward with a scanner. “If all isss asss it ssseemsss, you shall recssieve payment sssoon.” He flicked his tongue out from between his fangs, as if to wipe off the words he had struggled through in his last sentence. “For a total of fifteen thousssand creditsss,” Flax continued, a grin splitting his scaled snout.

A sudden chill flew up Daegon’s spine, and he narrowed his eyes. “That’s a funny number,” he said, slowly pacing to the left to give Kaor and Mal a clear line of sight to Flax’s men. “’Specially since we agreed on thirty thousand.”

Flax mirrored his movement, his leg clanking as he stepped to his own left. Now the two were perpendicular to their respective crews, with the pescalin as the midpoint. “Ah, my missstake,” Flax said as his clawed hand migrated up to the butt of the particle repeater riding his hip. “I ssseem to have confusssed your payment…with the pricsse on your head.”

Fierfek. Daegon’s own gunhand strayed towards his slugthrower, and out of the corner of his eye he saw Mal take a step back, lifting his bowcaster and rumbling. In response, Flax’s men raised their own weapons, half of them pointed at his crew…and the other half at Daegon. “Fifteen kay ain’t much compared to what you’ll pull with us as your runners, Flax,” he warned. “It doesn’t have to go down like this.”

Flax tilted his head again and drew the repeater, but left the barrel pointed down. “A sssad truth, that isss. However, I am not in the habit of defying the Huttsss. Even if I were to ignore the bounty on your head, I would ssstill be unable to grant you any further work.”

Daegon frowned. “What? Why?”

Flax gestured with the repeater. “The cartel hasss done more than placsse a price on your hide, Ssselanno. They have blacklisssted you from every fringe world in Republic and imperial space. Nobody with Hutt connectionsss will give you work for fear of reprisal from clan Desssilijic.” He grinned again, baring his fangs. “Asss you can sssee, my friend…my clawsss are tied.”

Second half later.

Looking For Work First Previous Next Latest

"I applaud your efforts. And now that you've insulted me, called me a heretic, threatened to burn me and questioned my gender, I'm completely on board." - Jess
 Back to top »
Daegon Selanno
Cheapy

Post Posted: Thu, September 09th 2010 06:34pm    Post subject:

A bead of sweat trickled down Daegon’s brow as he and Flax eyed each other. The Trandoshan was grinning from ear to ear…or whatever he had for ears. “Come now, Ssselanno,” he hissed. “The bounty isss worth more alive than dead. At leassst thisss way you will have a chancsse to essscape later, no?”

Daegon narrowed his eyes and tightened his grip on the butt of his slugthrower. If only he would look away for a sec… “You’re not taking me without a fight,” he growled. “You ought to know me better by now, Flax.”

His former employer cackled softly with laughter before clicking back the safety on his repeater. “So be it–”

He was suddenly interrupted by a distinctive shriek-roar that echoed from the opposite end of the canyon–the juvenile Krayt was announcing that it was awake and on the hunt. Flax and his men jerked their heads towards the sound for a split second before realizing their mistake…but by then, Daegon’s gun was out and he was diving for cover. He slid behind a boulder that was twice as big as one of the pescalin crates before poking out and snapping off a few pellets at one of Flax’s goons. The Rodian jerked back as the bullets slammed through his vest and threw him to the ground. “Fire!” Flax roared as he squeezed the trigger on his repeater, sending a small hail of pellets slamming into Daegon’s cover as he sidestepped towards the truck. Daegon heard Mal roar as he opened fire with his bowcaster at the remaining thugs, and they promptly returned fire.

Daegon eased around the other edge of the boulder, pressing himself flat against its surface to reduce his profile. Flax and one of his men were taking shelter by the repulsortruck, using its swing-out doors as cover, while the others were crouched behind the crates of medicine closer to Mal and Kaor. They were leveling their blasters on it and pumping bolts into the corner of the cliff bend, where Mal was taking cover. Kaor was…

Daegon swore to himself. Where the hell was Kaor? Had he been hit?

Ka-chik.

The sound of a round being chambered into a longrifle echoed ominously behind him, and Daegon felt something sharp poke into his back. “Hello, ‘Captain,’” Kaor’s voice said from the same area. “Drop your pistol and turn, slowly.”

Daegon carefully laid his slugthrower in the dirt and glanced over his shoulder. Kaor was standing there, holding his rifle on Daegon with the bayonet poking into his back. The Kaleesh offered him a feral smile at him from behind his bone mask. “Imagine my surprise to discover that you are a wanted man, Captain Selanno,” Kaor continued. “Forgive me, but I would rather become wealthy off of you than die for you.”

Without bothering to bite out a curse at the turncoat Kaleesh, Daegon dove forward and to his left, out of Kaor’s reach and line of fire…and out of cover. A trio of poorly-aimed blaster bolts scorched the dirt around him, and as he came down he rolled onto his left side, clutching at his belt. Thumbing the activator on one of his thermal grenades, he hurled it towards the thugs taking cover behind the pescalin.

Behind the flammable pescalin.

The results were spectacular and satisfying. The grenade went off with a relatively small explosion, but a split second later all three crates detonated in a roiling fireball that shoved Daegon back another two meters. He heard a pellet from Kaor’s rifle ping off the rocks where he had just been, and in one movement he reached down and freed the holdout from his boot. His former crew member ducked behind the very boulder Daegon had been hiding behind as the bolts from the mini blaster struck the rock. He heard the high-pitched roar of Mal’s bowcaster and hoped that his copilot was keeping Flax and the remaining minion distracted as he jumped to his feet and ran forward, tossing away the spent holdout–and drawing the curved dagger sheathed behind his waist.

The blade’s grip felt comfortingly familiar in his hands as he whirled around the edge of the rock, slashing down and to the left at where Kaor was. The hunter brought his rifle up to block, and sparks flew into the air as metal collided with metal. Daegon shoved outward with his blade, forcing Kaor back a step, and before he could recover the Corellian tossed a handful of sand into his eyes. Kaor sputtered and backed up, his finger tightening on the trigger and sending two slugs into the dirt between him and Daegon. As he cleared his eyes, he looked up–

–just in time to see Daegon slam the dagger up to its hilt into his chest.

Kaor’s eyes went wide with shock, then faded as Daegon ripped the blade out. Blood splattered his coat and the dirt around him, but he didn’t notice as he watched Kaor’s lifeless body fall to the ground.

Flax and his last thug fled in the repulsortruck, their bounty and their cargo lost to them. Daegon scooped up his slugthrower where it had fallen and slipped it back into his holster silently. Mal wordlessly walked up to him, rubbing a burnt patch of fur from a blaster graze.

“Don’t say it,” Daegon mumbled. “You were right.”

“<I am not one to gloat under normal circumstances, Captain,>” Mal replied. “<Much less a disaster such as this.>”

Daegon kicked angrily at the dirt near Kaor’s corpse. Flies were already buzzing around it as the sun continued to set. “Shassa na ma koranda!” he spat in Huttese. “Do chu naka das!” Mal reached over and grabbed a handful of Daegon’s jacket, jerking him around. “<Calm yourself, Captain! We will need clear minds to figure this out.>”

Daegon sighed and ran the fingers of one hand through his hair. “Yeah. Sorry.” He threw one more look at the burning pescalin before trudging over to the cargo speeder. “Come on, let’s get back to the ship.”

Looking For Work First Previous Next Latest

Back to top »
Star Wars: Unity Forum Index » Tatooine » Jundland Wastes
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: