Main Site Forums Holonet Tools About
Forum Index Rules Log in Search Profile Memberlist Usergroups Log in to check your private messages Register
Modified YT-1930 "Nova Hound"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Star Wars: Unity Forum Index » Mid Rim » Modified YT-1930 "Nova Hound"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sean Tavell
Chukles

Post Posted: Thu, October 14th 2010 06:41pm    Post subject:

Sean sat on the bunk of his medbay. He wasn't entirely sure how he got there.... or rather was not very aware of the process that got him here. He knew that Sara supported his weight back to the Nova Hound, but aside from that he wasn't sure. He'd entered a bit of a daze shortly after Sara found him, a trance of sort. Truth be told, he was lost in the past. He was only moderately aware as Sara helped him onto the bunk and began patching up the bullet hole in his leg. He was only partially brought out of his reverie when she spoke.

"You avenged your father by not killing him, Sean. You know that." Sean didn't seem to really hear her.

"...I could have. It would have been so easy. I... I was going to...." His gaze remained fixed on something distant.... something long since past. He saw friends, family streaming before him. Some had died, others moved on. Life was so fragile.

Sara finished wrapping a bandage around his leg. She tugged it snugly, though Sean barely noticed, merely flinched slightly. "My friend, who I quoted," Sara said next, "was close to doing the same. He's a better and more sane man now than he was when he himself was out for revenge. You did good in not killing him. I'm sure it's not the Jedi way."

This Sean heard.... at least partially. "Heh. What good of a Jedi am I now? I'm broken. I... I wasn't always... Just feels like everything is spiraling out of control..... what is there to do about it? What can I do...."

"I know, I know." Sara countered. "My life spun out of control from the moment Tarison stepped through my family's front door, told my parents I could accept training, they declined and it wouldn't have mattered anyways. They died two weeks later and I was left alone through my teens as tragedy after tragedy hit me... Then it all built up until it unlocked my abilities on Naboo." She paused for a moment, though Sean was still distant. "Sean, our lowest points in our lives lead us to our strongest. You proved to yourself that you can still hold onto yourself despite the odds." Sara tied a knot in the bacta soaked bandage.

Sean did come out of his trance now... slightly. ".... heh. I can't hold onto anything. I have no control. I... I don't WANT to be like this. I try, so very hard... I just can't get away from it. No matter what, she always comes back. I can't rise above it. I can't run...."

"She? Sean we can't run from anything. I tried to run from my abilities remember? Back on Corellia? We have to face it. No matter what we do or how much our guts tell us not to, we have to face it to bury it."

".... burying it means losing her...."

"Then face it. Don't bury it. If she keeps coming back, whoever she is, face it and get it done with. Whatever happens after that happens." Sara patted Sean's face several times—almost slaps, but not quite—and rested her hand there for a moment. Sean closed his eyes, inhaled deeply, exhaled slowly... he then opened his eyes and stared into Sara's for a moment. She pulled back her hand, and Sean spoke in a quiet, subdued voice.

"It's not so simple." Sean shook his head slowly, sadly. "I... I'm sorry, by the way.... for the past while... My behavior has been.... odd." While he was still distant, Sean's eyes are more focused, more alive than Sara had seen them since she found him in that warehouse.

In response, Sara pointed to her lips and her face turned playfully stern. "I've noticed." She lowered her hand. "But under the conditions you were under, now that I understand... It was still inappropriate, but I understand. And what is it that isn't so simple about it? Is anything simple?"

Sean chuckled, a little more life in his voice. "Believe it or not, killing a man is pretty simple."

"These days you still need to go through a hail of blasters to get to it. Simple for a Jedi, but I used to be faced with those odds a lot before I had this," Sara pulled her lightsaber from her clip and presented it to him. "Nothing's simple." She looked away for a moment. "Trust me." She turned back now.

Sean's gaze met her's, more present than even a moment before. He looked into her eyes for a long moment before looking down at her saber. Without warning, he took it from her, a contemplative look on his face as he examined the plain hilt. "I.... may regret this," he started, "but it's probably about time we got you a proper one of these...." He then looked up at her, his gaze questioning, searching. "Unless you feel it's too early?"

Sara staggered back a bit. "You're joking right?" before looking as Sean's gaze doesn't change. "Well then, I won't object. But I'm not switching subjects just yet. You need to face what you're running from Sean. I had to face my abilities when I tried to run, and things have turned out alright for me so far. You just need to have a little faith in yourself to actually face it."

Sean chuckled unemotionally for a moment. "Damn. You're not as stupid as you look." Sean flashed her a playful smile and a wink. "At any rate, faith in myself is hard to come by these days. Seems all I've been good for is drinking and stealing kisses."

Sara flashed him a quick smile. "You're good at training a Jedi in the least, but you did deserve the training saber slash in the cargo hold."

Sean laughed a little more animatedly. "Now, now. I was drunk. You can't really hold that against me."

"True. Just don't do it again, or you will regret giving me a fully functional lightsaber."

Sean seemed taken aback, though mockingly so. "You took me by surprise that time. Don't think you'll get the jump on me like that again." He then flashed her another one of his signature winks.

Sara laughed "I wouldn't be surprised. You were too drunk to make heads or tails to realize what I did until I was already gone. But I'm learning... hopefully." she paused and looked at Sean.

"Since we're on an open note right now. What's my last name, Soto, have to do with you?"

Sean looked her in the eyes for a good, long, contemplative moment. Finally, he spoke with great care and deliberation, his tone guarded. "I knew your brother."

Tag: Carn
The Dark and Winding Road First Previous Next Latest
Expand
Sara Soto First Previous Next Latest

"Your lightsaber will never fail you. Alcohol will always calm your nerves. And women..... well, they're just too good to go without." ~ Sean Tavell

Avi made graciously by Carn
 Back to top »
Sara Soto
Orrion Carn

Post Posted: Fri, October 15th 2010 02:04am    Post subject:

Sara’s eyes widened and she fell silent. Her brother? That’s what he had said, they were about the same age, Ganner and Sean. Both were Jedi and it was quite possible that he could be telling the truth. She stood, Sean in a little confusion at her motion. She walked to a stool in the medbay and sat, facing Sean again as she leaned forward. She thought and reached out with The Force that her brother had used as well, feeling that Sean was telling the truth. But how much of it? She wanted to know.
"What was he like? I never knew he even existed until Shawn told me on Kashyyyk..."

Sean leaned back in the med bunk and smiled, letting his eyes trace the bulkheads while he recalled her brother, "Arrogant, though possibly justly so. A loyal friend and loyal to the Jedi Code though. Generally a lot like you.... though not quite as adorable or kind." He looked down briefly at her and finished with a wink.

Sara smiled. Arrogant huh? "That bad huh?" She laughed in reply.

"As I understand it, you favor your mother more than he did... both in appearance and temperament.” he finished tracing the ceiling, then looked towards her, “Ganner was sure proud of you though. Talked about his little sister all the time. Didn't get to see you much after he left, of course, given you didn't know he was alive, but I saw a picture or two. You were a cute kid."

Sara grinned. Sure, every girl like to know they were cute at one point or another, but with Sean, she had to shift subjects, "Lets… Get back to the subject of my lightsaber."

Sean’s smile shrunk, but didn’t disappear. He became more serious, "What do you know about the lightsaber?

Easy. She smirked, "That's a silly question. It's the weapon of the Jedi and can cut through anything."

His smile returned fondly, "Good answer, but not really. A good start. It is indeed a weapon, a tool.... but it's so much more than that."
"A well constructed lightsaber is a companion. If the Jedi is lucky, once they have their saber, they never lose it. The lightsaber has been the weapon and symbol of the Jedi since... well... practically since there were Jedi.
"This is not to say that only Jedi can use lightsabers. Anyone can, really. However, it is difficult to construct one as the Jedi do without the aid of the Force. As well, it is a deadly and dangerous weapon, and using it without the aid of the Force can be rather... difficult.
"Hence, the Lightsaber has remained a primarily Jedi only weapon."

Sara leaned further from her stool, using The Force to make sure she didn’t fall off. She had to know this and was extremely interested.

"Since this is the case, as I mentioned, it has become a symbol to outsiders that identifies a Jedi as a Jedi. Within the order, it symbolizes something different. The construction of your first lightsaber is an almost.... sacred thing. It's a right of passage that marks when you have matured and grown enough to deserve the responsibility it entails. This usually will happen sometime during..."
"The padawanship."

"Padawan?" Sara croaked.

Sean’s smile stayed, "The term for a Jedi apprenticed to a Master."

"This quickly?" Sara asked, then turned her attention to the floor in thought. This was really happening wasn’t it? "Wow I don't know what else to say, to be honest." She laughed, "I bet if I grew up in the Temple I'd be expecting something like this, but here, I'm twenty-four, haven't had a care in the Galaxy except to cover my own skin. And in two weeks, here I am..."

Sean nodded. She didn’t see it, but felt it through The Force. She was branching out for sure, and she was becoming more comfortable with her abilities as the days went on.
"Understandable. Your situation is also rather... special. For one, I am quite liberal with my knowledge, and also necessity has demanded a less... traditional form of instruction. Times are a little different now than they were in the Old Jedi Order."

"Less traditional as in...?" Sara asked while she rose an eyebrow.

His smile didn’t cease, and she wondered how long he could keep smiling, "Primarily more condensed. I feel you are mature enough to handle a lightsaber, even if your skill base may not warrant it. Generally you wouldn't expect to be making a lightsaber after only a few short weeks of instruction."

Sara crossed her arms over her chest, "Thanks for the comment on my skill level." She smirked to express her anticipation, "So when do we begin?"

Sean’s smile lessened again and he rose his own brow, "How good do you think you are? While you certainly do okay, your brother at fourteen could fight circles around you." He copied her smirk, "As could most Jedi that age." He laughed in mockery. Oh, this was certainly going to be an interesting padawanship. Yeah right, Sara laughed inwardly.

"I'm learning faster than a youngling using a training saber, and I can deflect a few blaster bolts on the remote's medium difficulty. So I'm in the gravball park." She scanned the room for a minute, then settled back on Sean, "How good was my brother?"

Sean‘s eyes went back to the ceiling and his eyes began to retrace the bulkheads, “He was the first duelist to completely trounce me. Though, granted, at the time I was a good deal younger and less interested. He is the one that inspired me to improve. I took to the saber quite well, grew to love it, thanks to him. We were pretty even, though I can't say who'd be better were he still alive."

"Yeah..." She looked away to contemplate his final word. Alive. Ganner wasn’t alive, loved her dearly. Bragged about her to Sean. Now he wasn’t here, he hadn’t been for twenty or so years. It didn’t feel right.

She felt Sean hop off the med bunk through The Force and move towards her, lowering his knees so he was level with her and gently gripping her chin and turning it towards his gaze, "Now, now. Don't tell me your excitement is tempered...."

She smiled, "No, just, I wish I knew him."

Sean grinned from his serious state, "He was a braggart and a bore. Nowhere near as fun as me. Now, come, I need you focused if you want to make yourself a saber. This is dangerous business. Can't be lost in the past." His grin fell to a soft smile. "I know this is ironic coming from me, but what's done is done. I promise I'll do my best so that you can know him through me. That's better than most can ask for."

Sara laughed the sadness off, "I'll keep you to that. But your leg. It needs at least a day before we can go anywhere. So you go get some rest and I'll work on the shell for my lightsaber."

"Nonsense, my leg is fine." He released her chin and stood quickly, "See." His feet fell beneath him and almost toppled over, gripping the stool next to Sara for balance while he gritted his teeth. "Well, I won't be walking, but I can at least watch over you as you make the casing."

"Whatever floats your repulsors." Sara grinned.

Tag: Chukles

Sara Soto
Orrion Carn

Post Posted: Fri, October 15th 2010 02:43am    Post subject:

Sara sat in the lightsaber shop Sean had aboard, she was in the seat she had made her training saber in and knew how to create the basic shell of the saber, now she needed to make it her own. She grabbed a small cylinder no more than two hand widths in length, eleven soft rubber strips and twenty-two screws. She used a table clamp and held the rubber strips in place while she secured them in place with a two of the screws. Eventually she held a comfortable grip and moved on to another part. Grabbing a cap of sorts that looked like a series of connected and gradually smaller rims that, after three rungs ended flat, and secured it to the bottom. Sean handed her a small welder and she made sure it wasn’t going to go anywhere.

Sara turned and saw a grinder on the table and smoothed the globs of melted metal, making sure to not damage the rubber grip. She wasn’t too impressed with it, but she could work it out later. She then worked on the upper portion of the saber, deciding to grab a thinner cylinder the size of a 25 CredCoin, then another that continued with the same radius as the rest of the blade. She began to work on the emitter. Finding one on the bench that would work perfectly with it’s built in heat sinks. Plus most of the components were already in place and just needed to be aligned.

She looked at her saber as it was now. Cocking her head while she thought on what else she needed to add. As of right now her saber was just a hilt with rubber straps wrapping around it.
“Hm.” she muttered, then reached with The Force to pull a smooth cylinder from a bin somewhere in the shop, making sure to have made it pass Sean’s head before it connected with her hand. She grabbed a ink marker and drew a rectangle where the grip would be, then a similar and smaller one for where the activation switch would go.

She turned to the grinder again, looking at a portion of it that was sharp for making precision cuts. She carefully carved at it and after the sparks had vanished she slid the smooth, though scratched cylinder over the rest of the hilt. She added four more strips of soft rubber along the length of the hilt and secured a red, currently inoperable activation switch. She looked at her blade now, and wasn’t impressed.

Sara placed her saber on the workbench and sighed. Sean gripped the hilt and looked at it, “Not bad. But you’re tired right now,” he placed it down, “Go get some rest. It’s a long hike to the crystal caves here. You can work on this later.”

Sara nodded, stood and left. Looking back to see Sean set her saber aside and he began to work on his own. And just as quickly as she had left, she found herself in her bed and nodding off to sleep.

Tag: Chukles

Sean Tavell
Chukles

Post Posted: Fri, October 15th 2010 03:48am    Post subject:

As soon as Sean was sure Sara was asleep, he pulled her saber in front of him and examined it. It was... rather rough, though understandably so. Sean doubted she was very skilled with her hands... well, at least not with this kind of work. The metal was ground down poorly, seams weren't completely closed, other seams showed through. It was a good general concept though. Simple, yet elegant in its simplicity. It was like a beautiful woman that hadn't bathed for months. It just needed some cleaning up. Sean got to work. He had one night to do it in.

First things first, he grabbed a small welder and sealed all the seams. Soon, he had on perfectly combined, single piece of metal... and rubber and whatnot. Before he could clean it up any, he had to make some modifications. He first started by carefully cutting the grip and activation switch portion from the rest of the saber. Through a series of rail systems and locking support pieces, as well as the installation of some slight threading and two security latches on the interior of the case, he made the casing able to come apart. He tested it out a few times. When the saber was fully assembled and the latches—which could only be operated by manipulation with the Force—secured, the saber was perfectly solid. Once he pulled back the latches, the emitter portion of the saber could be removed by turning it a quarter of the way counter-clockwise. Without that upper portion securing the lower portions, the outer casing slid right off of the grip portion, which used set rails to keep it in place once inserted into the saber.

It was on the grip portion he worked next. With great care he added mounting pieces to the smooth metal. Once that was done, he picked out his best innards for sabers and began to secure them to the grip plate. Once the various and requisite pieces were in place and properly so, he secured them in a tube which was easily accessed by hinged panels that allowed access to the various different components inside the saber. That done, he put it all back together. The new "innards cylinder" slid together perfectly. Save for the crystals, it was now a functioning lightsaber. It still looked mighty awful though.

Now it was time to fix that issue. With great care, he began grinding and polishing, removing seams and welds, hiding screws and otherwise perfecting Sara's design. It was tedious work, but finally he had a saber before him, one that looked like a seamless piece of equipment, perfectly molded and formed. He smiled at his work... and Sara's work. It was a fine looking saber now. He was growing tired, but he wasn't done yet. He had a few surprises left on it.

Sean limped over to a box of memorabilia and dug around til he found what he was looking for. He pulled out an announcement from Ganner Soto's funeral. He didn't know why he had kept it, but he was glad he had. He moved back over to the bench and grabbed a fine engraving tool, beginning to carefully engrave. Opposite the grip, he etched a symbol from the announcement. It was a simple yet utilitarian background, a medallion of sorts, with a slightly complex diamond-shaped symbol on the interior. He carved this with his most steady hand. He didn't want to ruin all his work now.

When he was done, he looked at his work. It was a very fine copy of the symbol on the page before him. He was very proud of it... and a little surprised. Next, he very carefully smoothed the edges some until they matched the perfect appearance of the saber. He leafed gold into the design's lines and sealed that in. Finally, he had one more touch to add. Arching above the decagonal medallion, he engraved the words "Honor to the dead" and arching below it, so that the two lines formed an almost seamless circle, "That they live on in our hearts". It was a line he came across long ago and took a liking to, and found it fitting for Sara.

Once that was done and polished up, he looked at the finished saber. It was fine indeed, perhaps some of his best work, his current saber aside. He yawned. He couldn't see it, but the sun was soon to rise on Khoonda, and Sean was tired. He turned out the lights all over the ship, sealed the cargo hold with his lightsaber shop in it, then limped to his bed and promptly passed out.

Tag: Carn

"Your lightsaber will never fail you. Alcohol will always calm your nerves. And women..... well, they're just too good to go without." ~ Sean Tavell

Avi made graciously by Carn
 Back to top »
Star Wars: Unity Forum Index » Mid Rim » Modified YT-1930 "Nova Hound"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: