Main Site Forums Holonet Tools About
Forum Index Rules Log in Search Profile Memberlist Usergroups Log in to check your private messages Register
Star Wars Episode VIII: Binds of Tyranny
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Star Wars: Unity Forum Index » The Cantina » Star Wars Episode VIII: Binds of Tyranny
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cliff

Post Posted: Tue, August 03rd 2010 01:32pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Plus, let's face it... Brote and I were likely the only ones who liked doing the asset updates and bureaucratic micromanaging... and I'm assuming about Brote. <_< I mean, I was updating assets weekly for the Empire and Rebellion at the end. Didn't bug me. But really, who actually enjoys balancing a checkbook? Games are fun escapes from the drudgery of normal life... not making you relive it on a grand scale week after week. :lol:

Ha. You were probably the only one, save myself, that saw all the technobabble I generated for my silly faction out of Devaron.
 Back to top »
Ams Jendob
Moff

Post Posted: Wed, August 04th 2010 10:13pm    Post subject:

So, if we ever tried a VII-style game (as opposed to Unity's assetless approach), I'm thinking either VII reboot with an improved Endor plus some modified backstory (i.e. no borrowing from Tyderian. Besides, Cray doesn't want to play Nevin anymore :p) or some de-evolved, dystopian Star Wars future.

I've toyed with hard sci-fi, too... but God, it's a pain in the ass. SW at least has all of the handy references.:p

Expand

----"Moff", CMAC Dreamcrusher, Official Administrative Waldorf and Statler----
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Lucas Pallanén-Davad
Alex

Post Posted: Wed, August 04th 2010 10:35pm    Post subject:

Ams Jendob wrote:
So, if we ever tried a VII-style game (as opposed to Unity's assetless approach), I'm thinking either VII reboot with an improved Endor plus some modified backstory (i.e. no borrowing from Tyderian. Besides, Cray doesn't want to play Nevin anymore :p) or some de-evolved, dystopian Star Wars future.

I've toyed with hard sci-fi, too... but God, it's a pain in the ass. SW at least has all of the handy references.:p

*shakes Ams*

Are you not enjoying Unity?! We could get some Imperial Plots going. I have a knack at spurring some creative and character-evolving plots.
 Back to top »
Thomas Heckler
Butters

Post Posted: Wed, August 04th 2010 11:28pm    Post subject:

Lucas Pallanén-Davad wrote:
Ams Jendob wrote:

*shakes Ams*

Are you not enjoying Unity?! We could get some Imperial Plots going. I have a knack at spurring some creative and character-evolving plots.

Wait till the Moffs start breaking off. As soon as Ardna gets approved I can start my Imperial plot using pirates.

Back to top »
Ams Jendob
Moff

Post Posted: Thu, August 05th 2010 12:02am    Post subject:

Or Republic plot with pirates. :p

I believe you did mention both options were available? <_<

And what do you think about those ideas above, O Fellow Budget Lover? :p

Expand

Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Thomas Heckler
Butters

Post Posted: Thu, August 05th 2010 12:16am    Post subject:

Ams Jendob wrote:
Or Republic plot with pirates. :p

I believe you did mention both options were available? <_<

And what do you think about those ideas above, O Fellow Budget Lover? :p

I don't understand the de-evolved and dystopia concept. Explain.

Back to top »
Clare Velez
Orrion Carn

Post Posted: Thu, August 05th 2010 12:41am    Post subject:

Ams Jendob wrote:

*shakes Ams*

*shakes Ams as well*

NOOO!!! ASSETLESS ROCKS!!! IT'S MUCH EASIER AND I CAN'T KEEP TRACK OF REAL MONEY, LET ALONE FAKE CREDITS!!!

Besides, I'm looking forward to a future Unity II, I already have a few characters in mind for that when it comes around (Cray and I have been tossing around the idea briefly). Besides, I find I can concentrate on the story more if it is assetless, which is why I liked Unity better than my brief stay at VIII.
 Back to top »
Morgan ZIM
Space Jawa

Post Posted: Thu, August 05th 2010 12:50am    Post subject:

Thomas Heckler wrote:

If he means what I think he means, it would technically be the future in the Star Wars galaxy, but with technology that isn't as advanced and everything having gone down the tubes at some point between the games past and the games present. Time goes forward, but everything else goes in reverse.

Though personally, if I were to pick a time to go divergent at, I'd kind of like to see a Galactic Republic era game. Something starting right around the time of one of the prequel trilogy movies.

Yeah, I think it's a tad early to speak about post-Unity when this game hasn't even gotten that far off the ground.

But yeah, it would help if we got some more plots rolling, either Imperial or NR. We were going so nicely, too, with the battles moving along at a nice pace, and now it feels like the game is starting to sputter back towards neutral or something. I have three characters right now that are pretty much waiting on the larger story to keep moving along in some form or another.
Ams Jendob
Moff

Post Posted: Thu, August 05th 2010 01:08am    Post subject:

B-b-but... we would have a Galactic Empire and a Sith faction! :(

...So, kinda like Legacy. But less emo. :p

Quote:

What was said already. It'd be about 650 to 900 years from Unity... and outside of that canon. Basically, it's far enough detached from canon that we can be freed up from the crazy stuff between the PT and OT. :p

Admittedly, the setting was inspired by an almost-hybrid of Mel Brooks and Star Wars... basically, the Spanish Inquisition with the monks wearing Imp rank plaques on their robes. <_<

Don't you look at me like that.

But yeah, it would be the tail end of a massive Galactic Dark Age from constant warfare and destruction of caches of technology and ancient libraries and stuff. Still have blasters and FTL—for obvious reasons—but you won't be melting planets or flitting around at a billion times the speed of light.

Quote:
*shakes Ams as well*

Wh-wha-wha-why do y-y-you pe-eople keep do-o-oing th-a-a-a-at?!

Quote:
NOOO!!! ASSETLESS ROCKS!!! IT'S MUCH EASIER AND I CAN'T KEEP TRACK OF REAL MONEY, LET ALONE FAKE CREDITS!!!

That's true. We'd find some way to make it work... maybe Brote, Ozzy, and I are the faction leaders! :p

Quote:
Besides, I'm looking forward to a future Unity II, I already have a few characters in mind for that when it comes around (Cray and I have been tossing around the idea briefly). Besides, I find I can concentrate on the story more if it is assetless, which is why I liked Unity better than my brief stay at VIII.

That's true. Still, we've got to do something on the side between now and a year before the Big Rip. :p

Quote:
Though personally, if I were to pick a time to go divergent at, I'd kind of like to see a Galactic Republic era game. Something starting right around the time of one of the prequel trilogy movies.

...Yes. Because trade disputes are soooooooooooooo enthralling. :p

I just don't see very much room for excitement in the Late Old Republic setting.

Quote:
Yeah, I think it's a tad early to speak about post-Unity when this game hasn't even gotten that far off the ground.

I'm not spelling doom and gloom. Just spitballing a bit. At least I didn't mention the Star Trek TOS nationsim. <_<

Oh wai--

Quote:
But yeah, it would help if we got some more plots rolling, either Imperial or NR. We were going so nicely, too, with the battles moving along at a nice pace, and now it feels like the game is starting to sputter back towards neutral or something. I have three characters right now that are pretty much waiting on the larger story to keep moving along in some form or another.

I'm working on some Imperial debauchery now. Don't worry. >_>

Expand

Back to top »
Lucas Pallanén-Davad
Alex

Post Posted: Thu, August 05th 2010 03:29pm    Post subject:

I just think Asset games are stacked in the favor of the House. It was evident in VII and VIII. Not really my favorite type of game play, unless everyone has an equal chance. Unity has that prospect.

What I see taking place in Unity, is the same thing which happened in VIII. I'm doing fine with small mini-plots, but the game is losing interest in the larger scheme of things. Now that Zend popped out of the Unknown Regions (lol), things could be getting interesting. And if that seems difficult, a new way of thinking could be approached. This is a community game, why not open the large plot up for all the players? Set up a whole series of plots.

Some RPGs actually leave key points to polls, and for each vote to count, you have to explain your vote. Some are paragraphs, others are merely a sentence.

ex:

Quote:

Admin Post:
A) Zend invades Hoth
B) Zend invades Thyferra
C) Zend invades Coruscant

Player Post:
I voted for A, because I like snow.

Player Post:
I voted for A, because I've got a few characters stranded there.

Player Post:
I voted for A, it would be cool to rescue stranded characters in the midst of an invasion.

Blah. lol

((Obviously Zend is controlled by Cray, and he makes his own choices, just an example))

Voting begins, and after a week, we roll out the plot. And while that one is in play, we launch a new plot-picking topic. It flows, no large thinking, and people can add their own ideas and such to the mix. When you have enough players contributing it moves EXTREMELY fast and becomes super easy. It becomes fun and you don't have to worry about building such a critical moment for your character, because you will have many more chances. The pressure just vanishes. I think the larger plots, can be once a month. That's 12 a year. Not bad at all. And we could choose to participate in all of them, or none of them.

When Cray announced we were invading Bilbringi and Muunlinst, many players jumped on board, and we were able to pick which battle we wanted to participate in. THAT was amazing. It was fun, and it was easy. We all got along, and then the opposite "team" was even fun and enjoying it. Choices can do wonders.

I think CMAC is doing great in Unity, absolutely no complaints.
 Back to top »
Ams Jendob
Moff

Post Posted: Thu, August 05th 2010 06:26pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I just think Asset games are stacked in the favor of the House. It was evident in VII and VIII. Not really my favorite type of game play, unless everyone has an equal chance. Unity has that prospect.

Well, since VIII was a continuation of VII, and thus reflected the end-game status there, I will say it was definitely uneven distribution of wealth, though not necessarily unfair. :p

When VII began, efforts were made to balance the six initial factions as closely as possible/reasonable. As for "an equal chance", there are many ways to define that. Could you clarify? O_o

Expand

Back to top »
Lucas Pallanén-Davad
Alex

Post Posted: Thu, August 05th 2010 07:23pm    Post subject:

Faction purchases. For example, the Liberator-series, they were dirt cheap early in the game, then the Empire purchased a large quantity, and later, the price was adjusted and they were much more expensive.

EDIT:
Visiting VII:

Ams Jendob:
Quote:
The Empire buys 42 Liberator Cruisers for 378 million credits.

Corrected Price:
Quote:
Liberator Cruiser: 97,000,000 credits each

Something that should have cost 4.074 billion credits, the Empire/Baelish made away with 378 million. I actually kept a record of small little details like these, but its been five years, no need to bring up bad blood. :P
 Back to top »
Ams Jendob
Moff

Post Posted: Thu, August 05th 2010 09:11pm    Post subject:

Well, they were dirt cheap because I thought they were some kind of fighter., I remember when VVD first joined as Kuat of Kuat, he sold Acclamators for something like ten thousand credits. Then him and Alexus bought about two thousand. :p

Shortly after the rollback spawned by their attempt to take over the Universe, CMAC made it clear that we were gonna set prices. <_<

And yeah, it seems like Liberator cruisers were always a source of problems. Pricing, specs, Corulag... :p

The after-effects of the Lib's fluctuating price would've been fixed in the big economy reset, but... never happened. :(

Expand

Back to top »
Thomas Heckler
Butters

Post Posted: Thu, August 05th 2010 09:22pm    Post subject:

Ams Jendob wrote:
Well, they were dirt cheap because I thought they were some kind of fighter., I remember when VVD first joined as Kuat of Kuat, he sold Acclamators for something like ten thousand credits. Then him and Alexus bought about two thousand. :p

Shortly after the rollback spawned by their attempt to take over the Universe, CMAC made it clear that we were gonna set prices. <_<

And yeah, it seems like Liberator cruisers were always a source of problems. Pricing, specs, Corulag... :p

The after-effects of the Lib's fluctuating price would've been fixed in the big economy reset, but... never happened. :(

Then again, this has certainly given all of us experience in asset management. I remember that rollback, what a low period in the game. I actually thought the design system worked out. I couldn't stand the News system, though. It was so complicated for some and others, like me, confused to see news that didn't make sense. I like the system now, although, everything is important and there is no reason to have competing news agencies.

Back to top »
Ams Jendob
Moff

Post Posted: Thu, August 05th 2010 09:50pm    Post subject:

I dunno, I rather enjoyed doing this. :p

Expand

Back to top »
Lucas Pallanén-Davad
Alex

Post Posted: Thu, August 05th 2010 10:09pm    Post subject:

I did too. I was like, what the hellllll! :P
 Back to top »
Tseneca Lowry-Fink
Jess

Post Posted: Mon, August 09th 2010 06:55pm    Post subject:

holy mother of god and all her nephews... :shock:
 Back to top »
Ams Jendob
Moff

Post Posted: Mon, August 09th 2010 08:06pm    Post subject:

Of course, the double irony is that the Galactic Alliance troops wear Starship Troopers uniforms. >_>

And given, according to the makers of the movies, that's a reality where Germany won WW2... tells you something. Sure, the Imps may have the jackboots and gray jackets in the beginning. But the Alliance... :p

Expand

Back to top »
Badim Soilding
Orrion Carn

Post Posted: Tue, August 10th 2010 12:57am    Post subject:

Germany won WW2 in Starship Troopers? Is that why it's so weird and the Gov required service of it's citizenship? :p

9000th post btw :twisted:
Ams Jendob
Moff

Post Posted: Tue, August 10th 2010 11:07pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I actually kept a record of small little details like these, but its been five years, no need to bring up bad blood. :P

...Really. :p

*changes your nickname to J Edgar Hoover* Oh, and now Brote's gonna chase you around to find out about all of those conspiracies you masterminded, like the Mafia and Swiss cheese. <_<

:p

Although... I have to admit, I'm curious to see it. Not for the obvious reasons, though. I'd actually like to see what common perceptions were... and how to avoid accidental but unsavory appearances in the future. If you don't mind sharing, anyway.

Expand

Back to top »
Star Wars: Unity Forum Index » The Cantina » Star Wars Episode VIII: Binds of Tyranny
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: