Main Site Forums Holonet Tools About
Forum Index Rules Log in Search Profile Memberlist Usergroups Log in to check your private messages Register
Binary Characters
Star Wars: Unity Forum Index » Questions and Suggestions » Binary Characters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maximillion Cyrus
dudop

Post Posted: Sun, July 25th 2010 12:22pm    Post subject: Binary Characters

So if anyone noticed, I left for a while, had to deal with something...

But I shall never give up! I just got a boost of optimism! So I just wanted to ask CMAC a question before getting shot down yet again.

Let's say you want to create two new characters, but you don't want to waste two character slots. And they'll be practically joined at the hip, going everywhere together and such. Every post regarding either of them will also include actions by the other. In this case, would it be possible to make a "binary character" that includes both of them, couting as one PC and using one account with both names? Kind of like Morgan ZIM, only with two separate people.

Frankly I don't think I can rp without some new character; Cyrus seemed like a good idea at the time, a hard-as-nails navy officer who I hoped would become known to higher-ups as "that commodore that can keep a secret" or something, and of course he has an ISD. But I don't really know what Commodores are supposed to and all the storylines I had for him rely on other people telling me/him what to do (kind of a problem for me). As for Callahan, when I first tried posting with him IC I was denied access, and then his ship sailed away. If I can post with him now I'll be in the akward position of covering up ...wait a minute... I did post IC with him, and then I was denied. WTF?

Anyway, I have the first four posts for my planned chracter(s) almost all planned out, and it'll be part of an arc that'll last for months. I'm working on tie-ins for the other two and the game at large as well. It's also not a crossover, a few elements may seem vaguely familiar to some of the bottom-feeders out there (emphasis on few and vaguely), but it's the 21st freaken century, there's no such thing as an original storyline anymore! And I love warping things beyond recognition.

Anyhoo...
 Back to top »
Lucas Pallanén-Davad
Alex

Post Posted: Sun, July 25th 2010 06:00pm    Post subject:

Here's my input.

Since you've been gone, there have been a few updates to the rules. For example, there is no longer a limit to "Player Characters" as long as they are original and non-FS. So you wouldn't really need one account for two characters... That sounds extremely confusing, but hey, it could catch on. Not my particular way of thinking. It's easier to break individual character posts into separate accounts. (At least I think so).

Here is the relevant thread "Changes to Character Limits":
http://unity.swrpgs.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=313

Also, when applying for a character, and you're not sure, it's okay. Some characters catch on a little better than others, and others will develop over time. Some I post with everyday(-ish) and others only a few times in a month. It helps to interact with other players, as it really sends the character into an interactive mode (and the quality is generally better too).

I hope this helps, sometimes we apply and think about a character, and when it hits the game, we decide it wasn't as much fun as we originally thought. Trial and error.
 Back to top »
Maximillion Cyrus
dudop

Post Posted: Sun, July 25th 2010 06:48pm    Post subject:

I had a feeling I read something like that. I've played Yu-Gi-Oh! and Pokemon TCG so much though... :(
 Back to top »
Han Solo
Han

Post Posted: Sun, July 25th 2010 09:53pm    Post subject:

What you described is essentially a PNPC. You have the character you applied with, but you will be involving another character whenever you post with that account. That's when I would go ahead and PNPC the second character.

That's what I like to do with Han and Chewie instead of making a separate account for the Wook. Chewie's too hard to RP with on his own anyway.
 Back to top »
Lucas Pallanén-Davad
Alex

Post Posted: Tue, July 27th 2010 06:28pm    Post subject:

So why did you make a binary character account and/or application, even though its spelled out NOT to have one like that? :?
 Back to top »
Maximillion Cyrus
dudop

Post Posted: Tue, July 27th 2010 07:30pm    Post subject:

What!? Nobody said that! The whole point was that I was asking if it was okay, and you only tell me I can't after I decide it's safe!?!?
 Back to top »
Han Solo
Han

Post Posted: Tue, July 27th 2010 09:06pm    Post subject:

Check out my post from Sunday, two above yours.

What you described is basically a PNPC. I don't know how the others feel about that, but that's my take on it. Please allow time for the entirety of CMAC to review the issue before moving ahead without permission.

Thanks!
 Back to top »
Maximillion Cyrus
dudop

Post Posted: Tue, July 27th 2010 10:35pm    Post subject:

And I required permission too? Permission to apply?

And I ignored that post because I did not describe a PNPC at all. The two characters are a single unit, not a walking stereotype with a furry sidekick. That's why I gave the example of Morgan ZIM.
 Back to top »
Ams Jendob
Moff

Post Posted: Tue, July 27th 2010 10:41pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Let's say you want to create two new characters, but you don't want to waste two character slots. And they'll be practically joined at the hip, going everywhere together and such. Every post regarding either of them will also include actions by the other

Actually, that describes one of the many functions of a PNPC perfectly.

Expand

----"Moff", CMAC Dreamcrusher, Official Administrative Waldorf and Statler----
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Han Solo
Han

Post Posted: Tue, July 27th 2010 10:45pm    Post subject:

Maximillion Cyrus wrote:
And I required permission too? Permission to apply?

Not permission to apply for a character, but rather, permission to proceed with a new idea that was not cleared by CMAC. If everyone went ahead with that mentality, then we will have some real problems.

And thank you, Moff. I know I wasn't alone in thinking that it described a PNPC.
 Back to top »
Star Wars: Unity Forum Index » Questions and Suggestions » Binary Characters
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: