Main Site Forums Holonet Tools About
Forum Index Rules Log in Search Profile Memberlist Usergroups Log in to check your private messages Register
Reminder about God-talking
Star Wars: Unity Forum Index » Announcements » Reminder about God-talking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kastor Antilles
Cray

Post Posted: Fri, May 28th 2010 12:52am    Post subject: Reminder about God-talking

Hey guys,

Recently, we've been noticing a lot of godmodding other players' actions. This isn't new, and it isn't the normal type of intentional ego-boosting godmodding we're usually talking about, but it's been happening more frequently recently.

What exactly do I mean? Well, I call it "god-talking." It's when you speak for another character, or when you simply assume another character's actions. It's a form of godmod if you say that a character has done something or put words into the character's mouth, unless you have permission from that player to speak for the character, or if you're writing a JP.

We're not talking to anybody in particular - a handful of people have done this recently. And we know no one is intending to offend anybody else or infringe their playstyle.

It does become a problem for the entire game, though, when people start speaking for PCed faction leaders. PC faction leaders, owned by a player, are not collectively-owned entities that can be controlled by everyone - they're characters, just like everyone else.

Again, no one specific incident prompted this, and we know no one intended any harm. If you think you might have done this, please don't feel targeted or guilty - it happens. We just wanted to say a word about this before something major happened and people got ticked off at each other.

We certainly realize that some people have no problem at all for this. And that's fine. If you're okay with having anybody - or perhaps just your closest RPer friends - perform minor actions for your characters, then tell them so. But unless you have consent, please do not speak or act for other characters. If you're not sure what constitutes as this, feel free to check with the player or with CMAC.

Thanks. :D
Alex

Post Posted: Fri, May 28th 2010 03:49am    Post subject:

Though in some cases, as in the posts containing members from the Blight Leaper crew, we have all given permission to include each other in our posts.

A specific example are the rights of Orrion Carn, Jess, Kyp, and myself to use the following characters in conversation and small actions:
Lucas Pallanen-Davad, Jonas Eisley, Alisson, Diann Reeves, Clare, Badim Solding, Kyp Durron, Tseneca Lowry-Fink, Firi, Dex... I think I got them all lol.

Otherwise, it would be one liners and take weeks to get
things done. (Maybe why we are having trouble with getting larger events in place?)

That would be acceptable, correct?

EDIT: I just read the last paragraph, and it seems as though this would be under that category. :P
 Back to top »
Badim Soilding
Orrion Carn

Post Posted: Fri, May 28th 2010 04:14am    Post subject:

Quote:
That would be acceptable, correct?

I actually talked to him about it a few minutes after he posted this. He said we're doing fine because we agreed to this together. We didn't act on it by ourselves.

Quote:
Well, I call it "god-talking." It's when you speak for another character, or when you simply assume another character's actions. It's a form of godmod if you say that a character has done something or put words into the character's mouth, unless you have permission from that player to speak for the character, or if you're writing a JP.

:wink:
Lucas Pallanén-Davad
Alex

Post Posted: Fri, May 28th 2010 04:24am    Post subject:

Cool, thanks for looking out bud! :D
 Back to top »
Badim Soilding
Orrion Carn

Post Posted: Fri, May 28th 2010 04:25am    Post subject:

No problem, Bud! :)
Kastor Antilles
Cray

Post Posted: Fri, May 28th 2010 11:27am    Post subject:

Haha. Yeah, that's totally fine. :D As long as permission is given. For example, I might say it's okay for Zara to describe some of Tren's actions, but I might not extend that same permission to anybody else in general.
Alex

Post Posted: Fri, May 28th 2010 01:14pm    Post subject:

Badim Soilding wrote:
No problem, Bud! :)

Haha! That either sounds creepy or sarcastic! LOL
 Back to top »
Badim Soilding
Orrion Carn

Post Posted: Fri, May 28th 2010 01:18pm    Post subject:

ROFL! :P
Kendra Jendob
Moff

Post Posted: Sat, May 29th 2010 11:50pm    Post subject:

I believe Mister Mackey's words are the best at describing God-talking:

It's bad, m'kay? So, uh, don't do it. M'kay?

Expand
 Back to top »
Star Wars: Unity Forum Index » Announcements » Reminder about God-talking
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: