Main Site Forums Holonet Tools About
Forum Index Rules Log in Search Profile Memberlist Usergroups Log in to check your private messages Register
Star Wars: Incredible Cross Sections
Star Wars: Unity Forum Index » The Cantina » Star Wars: Incredible Cross Sections
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shayera Jendob
Moff

Post Posted: Wed, January 20th 2010 10:00pm    Post subject: Star Wars: Incredible Cross Sections

Has anyone read this series, or have the omnibus version, Complete Cross Sections?

If not, these wonderful books contain a wealth of technical knowledge and background about ships, vehicles, and things that go boom in Star Wars. As such, they have been paradoxically wonderful GM tools and a horrible complication to Star Wars technical canon.

For instance, the Attack of the Clones Cross Sections first put SI units to Star Wars tech. This, for example, is where the now infamous 200-gigaton per shot medium turbolaser cannon came from. Kinky, no? :p

So yeah... let's talk about the books, the figures, or just SW tech in general. Might be fun.

Please post. :(

:p

Expand
 Back to top »
Dryas Quy'teff
Space Jawa

Post Posted: Wed, January 20th 2010 11:37pm    Post subject:

I've looked at them, but it was mostly for the images of the cutaway ships and looking at what what's inside. I couldn't have really cared less about the numbers.

One book that I've gained interest in that I'll probably get at some point is the Essential Atlas. What I've seen of it thus far is pretty intreging.
 Back to top »
Shayera Jendob
Moff

Post Posted: Fri, January 22nd 2010 11:29am    Post subject:

Cool. :D

I discovered this the other day while on Wikipedia... the deflector shields of an Acclamator-class cruiser could be defeated by terrestrial nuclear weapons. :shock:

So, yeah... take that Alexus! Wherever you are... :( :p

My proof for this extraordinary claim?
Quote:
the average power released by Tsar Bomba was 5.4 YW

Now, according to AotC: ICS, the shielding of the Acclamator is 70,000,000,000 Terawatts... or 0.07 YW to use the same unit as the reading from the Tsar Bomba, a fifty-megaton bomb detonated by the Soviet Union during the Cold War.

In other words... a fifty-megaton bomb will overwhelm the shielding of the Acclamator by almost two orders of magnitude. So, um... WTF do they need giant death rays with a rating of 200 gigatons for? <_<

Although, it does explain why we never see shields working in ROTS. All of the shots from capships struck bare hull...

Expand
 Back to top »
Star Wars: Unity Forum Index » The Cantina » Star Wars: Incredible Cross Sections
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: