Main Site Forums Holonet Tools About
Forum Index Rules Log in Search Profile Memberlist Usergroups Log in to check your private messages Register
ITT I vent my nerd rage (Don't judge me)
Star Wars: Unity Forum Index » The Cantina » ITT I vent my nerd rage (Don't judge me)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nik Starskimmer
Cheapy

Post Posted: Sat, November 21st 2009 02:08pm    Post subject: ITT I vent my nerd rage (Don't judge me)

Y'know, it really hurts the first time your Dungeon Master railroads you without warning.

Yesterday my friends and I were at our weekly D&D meeting. It was the second meeting since we had finished my campaign, and I was eager to play as a PC again (I'm the party's rogue). Our usual DM was doing things for the school's theater company, so he gave his instructions to one of the other players and asked him to be temporary DM. He agreed, but as the request was made at the last minute things were a little rushed and improvision ran amok.

To summarize the incident, our party killed a corrupt wizard who was embezzling city funds, earning ourselves a bounty on all of our heads. Having found a note stabbed onto the door of the party's house late at night (Suggesting that we leave town for our safety, and listing a meeting spot), it was agreed that, since I had the highest charisma, I and the party wizard, an annoying little kobold, should investigate and report back after the meeting. In the tavern where the meeting was to be held, we came across a nervous-looking vampire and a completely normal, nothing-strange-about-him, perfect human mercenary who claimed he had placed the note. He knew of our predicament and wished to help by leading the party to a cavern that led out of the city. We thanked him and agreed, telling him to meet us at an alleyway in three hours. We also spoke with the vampire, who also wished to escape from the city. In exchange for five platinum, we agreed to take him with us.

The next night, the entire party met with the vampire in the alley, and together we waited for the guide. He showed up, and, well...

Quote:
DM: Your guide appears and peers into the alleyway, looking slightly nervous. He enters and casts a quick glance around. "Is this all of you?"

Me: "Yep. Lead on."

DM: *roll* Without warning, your guide pulls out a whistle and blows on it sharply before turning and running away.

Me: ...What-

Wizard: ...the-

Druid: ...****?

DM: *roll* Twelve archers appear on either side of the rooftops above you, holding longbows with flaming arrows knocked and ready.

Party: What?!

DM: They yell at you to surrender and lower your weapons.

Party: What?!

We were then led away and placed in poorly-constructed jail cells, which we escaped shortly after and fled to Waterdeep.

So if any of you DM for a D&D group and have ever heard of your players claim that you 'railroad'...listen to them! It's not fun for them, and it probably isn't that fun for you!
There is no chaos, there is harmony.
There is no death, there is the Force."

Jedi Code
 Back to top »
Ams Jendob
Moff

Post Posted: Sat, November 21st 2009 04:59pm    Post subject:

...That's so something I would do. :p

Expand

----"Moff", CMAC Dreamcrusher, Official Administrative Waldorf and Statler----
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Kastor Antilles
Cray

Post Posted: Sat, November 21st 2009 05:35pm    Post subject:

Heheheehe. Railroading, I know it well. This expresses my sentiments when Zara was our DM one time:

(Ketro was also in this game, you might remember him from GBH a long time ago, Cheapy).

Also, it just occurred to me. We should try some D&D with the people on here sometime.
Cheapy

Post Posted: Sat, November 21st 2009 10:27pm    Post subject:

Yeah, but that would take a loooooong time for one meeting.
There is no chaos, there is harmony.
There is no death, there is the Force."

Jedi Code
 Back to top »
Morgan ZIM
Space Jawa

Post Posted: Sun, November 22nd 2009 04:32am    Post subject:

I've given thought to the idea of trying tabletop RPGing in recent years, it's just that I have absolutely no idea how to find anyone near me who might also be interested.
 Back to top »
Shayera Jendob
Moff

Post Posted: Sun, November 22nd 2009 12:49pm    Post subject:

You could always put something in the personals section of your local paper. >_>

"Male seeking role-playing companion. Must not throw dice."

Expand
 Back to top »
Star Wars: Unity Forum Index » The Cantina » ITT I vent my nerd rage (Don't judge me)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: