Main Site Forums Holonet Tools About
Forum Index Rules Log in Search Profile Memberlist Usergroups Log in to check your private messages Register
Yavin IV; Jedi Praxeum
Star Wars: Unity Forum Index » Outer Rim » Yavin IV; Jedi Praxeum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dryas Quy'teff
Space Jawa

Post Posted: Fri, November 13th 2009 04:41am    Post subject: Yavin IV; Jedi Praxeum

(Continued from Here.)

The droid came back in at Dryas in an attack motion, and as it swung its blade, the Bothan braced himself, deflected the attack, and returned with a swing that, had he not stopped short, would have left a deep cut across the machines chest area and rendered it destroyed. But while it still functioned, the motion was enough for it to count it as win on Dryas’ part. The droid beeped, reset itself, and moved backwards to prepare itself for Dryas’ command to begin.

“No, power down for a bit.”

The droid beeped in confirmation, then set itself to sleep mode, using practically none of its power but ready to start again at any time.

Dryas himself use the time to fully catch his breath and take a seat. While the Droid had been set at a level that usually saved for less experienced combatants, he had still taken a great deal of effort to fight it, mostly in terms of his concentration. More recently, the effort had been expended in repetition as he made himself accustomed to the experience of fighting with a curved hilt blade, to make himself truly accustomed to what he would need to progress in the fighting style associated with it.

After having spent the past couple days focusing mostly on just that, he was now feeling rather confident in his ability to wield the blade and perform the basics in actual combat. Even if he doubted he would be winning any duels against competent opponents with it any time soon, at least he wouldn’t make a fool of himself or be vulnerable to potential loss two moves in.

He has spent much of the annual celebrations of the Union in the effort as well. It had been the perfect time to do so, as it had left the room much emptier than it normally would have been. Much smaller chance of something going wrong in case he somehow slipped up that way. Granted, he had forgone an opportunity to travel home for a couple days for it, but it wasn’t anything he regretted. There was always next year, and all the years after he became a full Jedi to partake in the celebrations, and honestly, he didn’t need an excuse to travel back to Bothawui if he really wanted to.

“Dryas, there you are.”

He looked up from his location to see Norran entering the room.

“Greetings, Master.” He said, standing up.
“You certainly look like you’ve managed to keep yourself busy.”
“I try.”
“I’m actually a bit surprised you’ve spent so much time with this so quickly.”
“As I see it, the sooner I can advance from position of apprentice, the sooner I’ll have more freedom to enjoy myself.”
“Am I really that bothersome a master?” Norran asked with the raise of an eyebrow.
“Well, sometimes the little things just build up and, when that happens…” Dryas responded, trying to keep his voice a bit aloof as he guessed his master was simply joking. The guess proved correct as the man smiled a little and chuckled.
“It’s not a bad way to look at things, Dryas, but remember there is such a thing as pushing yourself too hard. Don’t forget, there is nothing wrong with finding ways to relax, and let the weight off your shoulders, so long as you’re careful not to get swept up in it.”

Dryas nodded at his masters words. It was something he had heard before.

“Speaking of which, I’m making a trip off world, and naturally, I’m bringing you along. It’ll be good for us to get off this planet for a bit after what you’ve just completed doing. Pack up and prepare to leave. I’m borrowing a pair of the Academy’s X-Wings for the trip, and would like to leave today.”

That shouldn’t have been too difficult a task. There wasn’t much to pack up.

“Yes, master.” Dryas said as Norran turned to leave. “Where is it we’re going?”
“Rhen Var.” Norran replied. Something about the name caught Dryas ear, and so he quickly followed after. He was pretty sure he knew about the planet, but there was something else he thought stuck out about the name that caught his interest he couldn’t quite put his finger on.
“Rhen Var –that’s a polar planet, isn’t it?”
“Correct. Be sure to pack for cold weather and a harsh environment.”
“Something else about it…let me see if I can remember...”
“The planet is also the site of an ongoing Jedi Order Excavation. Several archeological finds to be had there.”
“I suppose that is what we’re traveling to see?”
“Correct again.”
“There must be something more to it than that.” Dryas said. “I know you well enough to know that we wouldn’t be going out there to see it unless there was something important.”
“Indeed. They’ve recently discovered something which, if I’ve heard correctly, is something a cut above the average find, and if it’s true, I’d like to take the opportunity, since it has presented itself, to view it in its original location before it is moved.”
“What is it?” Dryas asked, his interest peaked. While he had hardly the time to develop the historical interest his master possessed, he couldn’t help but feel some of it rub off on him when the man got caught up in the subject.
“To be honest, I don’t know.”
“Then how do you know it’s important?” Dryas asked, a bit confused.
“Because if what I’ve heard is correct, it’s significant enough that they’ve asked Master Vucora herself to travel out there to see it.”

That brought Dryas slowly to a halt as he considered what his master had just said. It certainly explained a lot – if the Jedi historian had been asked to travel away from her academy at Dantooine, then it truly must have been something special they had dug up.

“I’ll be waiting for you.” Norran said over his shoulder as he continued onward, leaving the apprentice to go prepare himself for the trip.

Despite the apparent importance of what they were traveling to see, the fact that they would undoubtedly run into Master Vucora also left him with a feeling of apprehension. In past instances, the times he had been present when Norran Homm and Master Vucora had met had produced mixed results, leaving him wondering just how they might turn out this time.

His own master, while hardly on the same level of Vucora – and given her rank as Jedi Historian, few were – liked to fancy himself somewhat of a student of the past himself. It wasn’t something that, to Dryas’ knowledge, the man had made any kind of focus during his own training, but rather a hobby of sorts, though a hobby he took rather seriously. Seriously enough that Dryas suspected if it hadn’t been for his opinion on Jedi philosophy matching closer to Master Skywalker's than to Master Vucora’s, he likely would have stationed himself on Dantooine rather than Yavin IV.

Which made it easy for the trip that Norran made to Dantooine for the greater historical records stored there to become complicated, though fortunately, they had always managed to work themselves out in the end. Still, in recent years Dryas had noticed that his master had made the trips to the planet less frequently.

But for all the problems that had threatened to crop up from the whole situation, he couldn’t ignore the good that had come out of them. After all, it had been his masters interest in history, while never quite rubbing off on the bothan due to the amount of focus he had poured into other studies, that had been responsible for his discovery of the old ways of the lightsaber – the combat styles of the older Jedi Order that he had chosen to train in.

“This will be an interesting trip indeed.” Dryas said as he turned to go prepare himself for the journey.

(Click here to Continue Dryas' Story.)
 Back to top »
Star Wars: Unity Forum Index » Outer Rim » Yavin IV; Jedi Praxeum
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: