Main Site Forums Holonet Tools About
Forum Index Rules Log in Search Profile Memberlist Usergroups Log in to check your private messages Register
Adarlon, Belrand, Alderaan Memorial Starport
Star Wars: Unity Forum Index » Outer Rim » Adarlon, Belrand, Alderaan Memorial Starport
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cogent Cepheid
Alexus

Post Posted: Thu, August 27th 2009 03:21pm    Post subject: Adarlon, Belrand, Alderaan Memorial Starport

After walking through the Starport for several minutes, browsing the shops and sighing with despair at the paucity of any decent literature in the book shops, Cogent remembered his phone, which had been switched off since it had run out of power on his last flight.

Pulling the small lump of plastic and circuit boards from his pocket and thumbing the on switch in one swift and rather stylish move, he despaired to see the little indicator pop up and tell him he’d missed 58 calls, all from one number, his agent. Just as he considered throwing it away and saying he’d lost it, the mobile started to ring. Finding a nook behind a little-used exchange machine, he pressed the receive call button, and said, “Ross, hi. How are things?”

The reply was swift and brutal. “Cogent, what the hell do you think you’re doing?” Cogent assumed his pseudo-sorry expression automatically, even though it would have no effect over the exclusively audio line. Still, it was good to stay in practice. “I said I wanted you back on Adarlon over a week ago!”

“Well, sorry,” Cogent replied, indignantly, “I was in space.” There was the sound of the exasperated sigh that Ross let out several times every conversation they shared. Cogent held the receiver several inches away from his ear and closed his eyes.

“Cogent, I’ve been in space. Your mum’s been in space. Everyone has been in space! It’s nothing exciting! Your publisher is not best pleased, you idiot!” Ross yelled, “The deadline is fast approaching!” Cogent pressed the phone against his ear again.

“Sorry, but I am first and foremost an employee of the Antana campaign,” he said, “as I believe in a fairer society for all.” This was answered with a stony silence. “Okay, I didn’t know what to write, so I thought I’d write about the campaign, and of course that won’t be finished for months. What does the publisher want? And don’t yell, I’ve got a headache.”

“They want a first draft in a month,” Ross replied, and he sounded pretty tired. Maybe it would be a good idea to get a new agent, poor old Hendrie seemed to be getting pretty sick of it. Not the most pressing concern at the moment, Cogie, since you thought you’d have a bit longer than…

“A month?” Cogent felt like weeping.

“That’s all I wrangled for you. Where are you?”

“Norway. Where do you think I am? Alderaan Memorial Starport! Can you pick me up?”

“I’m already there.”

“You’re not as stupid as I thought,” Cogent replied, turning on his heel to slowly spin round and take in the whole cavernous area. Through the crowds he saw a man of roughly his age, looking angry and talking on a phone. “I see you.” He smiled. “This is brilliant, it’s just like that movie with that girl in it. You know, the one with the-”

“Thank you, Cogent,” Ross replied, turning to see the man and walking toward him, “Walk faster, I’m running out of credit.” The line went dead, and Cogent could see Ross had put his mobile away. They met next to one of several dozen newsagents.

“Sorry about the mix-up,” Cogent said, offering his hand in a reconciliatory manner. Ross took it and smiled. Sucker. They walked into the shop.

“It’s okay, I understand, you had a commitment,” Ross replied, smoothing back his dark hair and nodding, “I shouldn’t have overreacted so strongly.”

“Oh, you always overreact strongly,” Cogent said, smiling, and picked up a magazine from one of the newsagent’s shelves. “Honestly,” he said, flicking through it, “Look at these women. They’re all so unattractive, so fake. Whatever happened to actual beauty, the kind you can see in so many people on the street? The articles are dry and uninteresting, too.”

“Yes, whatever,” Ross replied, turning to look at the bestseller’s rack and plucking out a copy of Religion: The Great Deception. “I hate this book, you know that.”

“Yes, yes,” Cogent said, putting down the lad’s mag and taking the paperback from Ross’ hand. “I know you’re a fundie. You must admit the book did very well, though. The High Priest of the Great Tree, Brote Meckler, bought fifty copies.”

“For burning.”

“That’s still a credit of profit for me,” Cogent replied, looking at the blurb on the back. “They spelt my name right, clever bastards. Besides, it doesn’t debunk your religion, specifically, it debunks them all. Except Tantric Force Worship.” He smirked. “I like that one. They believe it’s a form of prayer to-”

“Well, Cogent,” Ross said, taking the book back and placing it on the rack again, “We need more of that bestselling magic. You’ve got a month, alright? And if we promise them a book about the campaign as well.”

“Aw, what!”

“Deal with it. If we make this book a shorter one, maybe a couple hundred pages, you can finish it. How much have you written so far?”

“Five,” said Cogent, pulling out his glasses. He followed Ross out of the newsagent’s and over to the car park, occasionally turning to drink in the sight of an attractive woman passing in a short skirt or tight pair of jeans.

“Five what?” Ross asked, pushing open the door. Cogent followed him out and took a deep breath.

“Back in good old Belrand,” he said, “Just smell that self loathing in the air. Marvellous.” Ross looked at him angrily.

“Five chapters? Five pages?” he insisted, stepping up to Cogent with a dangerous look in his eyes. Cogent tried a smirk but found his muscles wouldn’t properly respond, so instead his mouth opened slightly, letting out a small squeak of fear.

“Five sentences,” he replied, backing into the wall of the Starport. He smiled broadly. “You wouldn’t hit a guy who’s been to space, would you?”
 Back to top »
Ann Berlin
Alex

Post Posted: Thu, April 01st 2010 10:42pm    Post subject:

The energy of Adarlon's Memorial Starport vibrated throughout the city, as people from all over the region flocked to the stadium. For the next three weeks she'd be performing her latest tracks and singles... anything to avoid space travel. "Berlin! Berlin!" Someone shouted, flashes from holo-cams and hover droids shot around her as she stepped outside of the limo.

"How was your trip?"

"Can you tell us the meaning behind your latest hit, Galactica Man?"

"Have you found true love?"

"Koa or Loa Drinks?!"

Questions, more and more absurd as the passed, stopping only to pose and scribble on holo padds, as she went. She smiled, "Your Antana has brought great glory to Adarlon! It's beautiful, and the people are lovely." It was a pitch to the government, and the fact was, she was actually enjoying her time. The man must have put a considerable amount of time into preparing for her schedule.

"The show starts in fifteen, Ann, we need to go." The rough bodyguard whispered into her left ear, "All the major holo-networks-"

"I know," she said, her teeth still posing for a wide smile, "Trada!" She answered a question of "What are you wearing?" After the brief entrance, she was rushed through a maze of private corridors, and into her dressing room. She took several minutes fine-tuning the woman staring back at her through the reflection, before announcing she was ready.

"Showtime!" A man clapped his hands and skipped away...
 Back to top »
Ann Berlin
Alex

Post Posted: Sun, May 16th 2010 03:56am    Post subject:

The largest hangar of the starport had been converted dramatically to please the 120,000 gathered fans. Lights hovered and shot about the arena, with droids broadcasting all across the galaxy. The crowd chanted her name Berlin, Berlin! Behind the scene, Ann stared at herself. The woman in the reflection had been the greatest star the galaxy had ever known. She wielded no political power, but her very whims, were always fulfilled. Her voice alone could topple an Emperor from his throne. It had never been tested, but she had been labelled one of the top ten most influential people in the galaxy.

Suddenly, the crowd entered an awed trance, the opening music bellowing from the speakers placed throughout the hangar bay. Ann adjusted the microphone, waiting for the correct arrangement of music, before she started, "Stars are the only thing, between me and you...just a hyperdrive away..."

They went nuts, as she appeared...
 Back to top »
Star Wars: Unity Forum Index » Outer Rim » Adarlon, Belrand, Alderaan Memorial Starport
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: