Main Site Forums Holonet Tools About
Forum Index Rules Log in Search Profile Memberlist Usergroups Log in to check your private messages Register
NR Shuttle 'Clarissa'
Star Wars: Unity Forum Index » Coruscant » NR Shuttle 'Clarissa'
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karel Brand
Admiral Fyyar

Post Posted: Mon, July 12th 2010 10:12pm    Post subject: NR Shuttle 'Clarissa'

Brand leaned back in the coach as the shuttle sped out of the Renown's hangar bay, headed for the Aggressive Negotiator to pick up Commodore Gaains before going to Coruscant itself. They could not show up above the New Republic capital in the beat up warships, that Commodore Gaains was completely right about.

In front of Brand there was a holoprojector and Brand inserted the datacard containing all the battle recordings from Brand's ships, intending to go through them one final time. There had been something about one of them. A little file named 95425/4-D, taken from the Renown's own battle computers. It showed the representation of the Zend Imperial fleet which had also been shown on the Renown's battlefield map, Brand's primary source of information. He felt he had overlooked something.

He then highlighted the names of the Star Destroyers, and suddenly it hit him: one of the transponder codes said "HIMS Glory (94.3 %)" That meant there was a 94.3 % probability that the ship was the old Imperial Star Destroyer Glory, flagship of his old part time nemesis Admiral Alister Mako, a foe in countless battles up and down the Hydian Way. The uncertainty was considerable, especially since all Imperial-class Star Destroyers looked almost exactly alike, especially to the naked eye, but that could just as well account for modifications made in their twenty years' worth of absence.

Opening up the details about the ship picked up by Brand's ships' scanners, the armour plating's composition of alloys clearly showed it was a pre-Endor vessel and undoubtedly KDY built. Of course the analysis computers were too dumb to recognise the importance of this piece of information alone. There were still plenty of reasons to keep smelly old meatbags as Brand around.

"Well, I'll be damned..." Brand said to himself. If it really were Mako, that would make this whole mess even more of a deja vu. But then again, Mako might have lost a bit of his edge, seeing as he had abandoned the Star Destroyer bow dip at the first sight of Brand's counter move. Had Brand not been under massive bombardment and forced to retreat, he could have made his own forces dip their bows and completely expose the undersides of Mako's Star Destroyers. However, Brand was a bit out of shape himself after not fighting a real industrialised opponent for two decades, so all that time of idleness might have accounted for Mako's sloppiness. But Mako's side had still won by a huge margin, and that was indeed alarming.

Compared to that old geezer, Brand was but a youngling. Mako had to be approaching a hundred years' of age by now. Zend's forces were obviously more positively inclined about keeping veterans around than the NRDF, which was all babyfaces these days, the oldest beside Brand being Admiral Darklighter, who was now in Zend's captivity. Luckily Brand had stayed sufficiently far away from Coruscant to prevent making the higher ups too dissatisfied with his gruffy and bearded old face. With an oldie as Mako in play, Brand began thinking that the NR might should consider getting their own legends back into play. Surely old Wedge Antilles, Ethan A'baht and Keyan Farlander would be up for another round.

Speaking of younglings, the shuttle was approaching the Aggressive Negotiator now. Brand signalled Gaains to be ready, and also sent a message to NRDF Fleet Command that they were coming soon. If they were willing to listen, that is. Even with Zend's message and Brand and Gaain's experiences, Brand did not expect the juvenile Daast or the politicians to be very cooperative.

Not that it demoralised Brand. Fighting was his calling and it always would be. Whether against deadly enemies in the vacuum of space or a cabal of cheapskate politicians and wet-behind-their-ears officers accustomed to the good life.

I just love being cranky with old Brand. Young people these days... :p

Tag: Space Jawa, Vader, Zara
 Back to top »
Tira Gaains
Space Jawa

Post Posted: Tue, July 13th 2010 03:44am    Post subject:

(Continues from Here.)

This had not been how Tira Gaains had expected to return to Coruscant. It had been little over a month since she had last been to her adoptive home planet, and would never have expected the time nor the reason she was returning now. Had things gone as planned, she would have informed her parents about it, and see to it to spend plenty of time with her kids during the time she had.

But that was before war broke out and created a new commitment for her to attend to. The galaxy so often had a way of seeing to it that things did not go ‘as planned’.

“Admiral.” She said with a salute as she entered the shuttle and saw Admiral Brand waiting. Double-checking to make sure the datapads she had prepared were present and accounted for, she took her seat and waited for the ships to make it’s short trip to the capital of the New Republic and whoever was there waiting for them.

The datapads themselves contained all the information her crew had been able to gather on the battle at Bilbringi, including some late additions from the Heroes of Tatooine and her remaining fighters. It was a lot of data, too, as she had taken care not to leave out anything, even if most of it was organized to make it easier to go through.

“I expected you’d already be on your way to Coruscant.” She said. Had she known that Brand had intended to wait for her regardless, she would have reconsidered her decision to stay with the Negotiator till it docked.

Tag: Admiral Fyyar, Zara, Cray
 Back to top »
Karel Brand
Admiral Fyyar

Post Posted: Tue, July 13th 2010 09:20am    Post subject:

"Well, the reason I waited for you is actually both embarrassing and disgraceful, but also necessary. You see, I know how Coruscant works. I've been wrestling with those guys for over thirty years, I've seen how things have degraded. Today the military is completely subservient to the politicians, and the mutual respect is gone," Brand sighed, "it's all politics. I spent three months trying to convince them a refit of my twenty-five year old ships was needed, and I had to pull so many strings I'm almost a frakking puppeteer! I hate it, but I know how to play the game, even though I've stayed as far away from this place as long as I could. And I know that if I come walking into Fleet Command alone, that sends all the wrong signals, they'd hardly even listen to me. Being two is much better, especially since you were on the other side of Bilbringi. That'll effectively eliminate half the snarky comments and questions we'll get."

Giving her a moment to digest this tract, Brand looked at her with a less bitter expression. "I have ready your record. I know Coruscant doesn't love you either. They've gotten too soft. But that will change."

Tag: Space Jawa, Zara, Cray
 Back to top »
Tira Gaains
Space Jawa

Post Posted: Tue, July 13th 2010 03:02pm    Post subject:

”It’s a shame that’s all the further you went.” Gaains thought as Brand mentioned having pulled to have his older ships upgraded. Perhaps if he’d gone one step further and pulled for new military research, they wouldn’t have been so out-gunned at Bilbringi.

But realistically, it was hard to blame him. As pleasant as peace could be, it could also be misused. For too many people, it was a buzzword. A tool used to win popularity points among politicians, because it was easier to tell them that the horrors of war could never possibly touch them, so why bother worrying about it?

“I certainly hope you’re right, Admiral." She said as the shuttle disembarked and began to move towards its destination. "I fear for the future of the galaxy if you’re not.”

Certainly, how the Chief of State would respond would be an early indicator as to just how well or poorly things would get. She may not have held out much hope for Valure himself, but maybe if he surrounded himself with the right people, it would be enough to pull them through.

(Click Here to Continue the Story.)
 Back to top »
Star Wars: Unity Forum Index » Coruscant » NR Shuttle 'Clarissa'
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: