Main Site Forums Holonet Tools About
Forum Index Rules Log in Search Profile Memberlist Usergroups Log in to check your private messages Register
A Reminder About PNPCs
Star Wars: Unity Forum Index » Announcements » A Reminder About PNPCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Senna Vucora
Zara

Post Posted: Thu, July 08th 2010 03:48pm    Post subject: A Reminder About PNPCs

Hey everyone,

What with the changes to character limits and such, we've noticed that the definition of a protected non-player character might have become a little blurry. So, we'd thought we would just straighten things out to make sure everyone is on the same page.

PNPCs are, at the basest of things, just that: NPCs. They are not player characters, so they shouldn't be treated as focal characters as well. The only time PNPCs should be role-played is if they are in direct contact with the character that the player is currently posting as. If they do not have any sort of involvement with other PCs at the time, then their actions should be simply implied between appearances.

Think of it like this. Each post you make under a certain character is from his or her general perspective. If they are interacting with another NPC, they can see and/or hear them, but as soon as they part ways, that character will no longer know anything that's going on with said NPC. That's how we should all be treating PNPCs. They are meant to be supplemental characters to our own major characters.

Let me give you an example. Let's say a PC and a PNPC are talking to each other from across the galaxy. That's perfectly fine to role-play out as the PC in question. However, as soon as the call ends, the perspective stays with the PC, and any actions the PNPC might take afterward are ultimately unknown to that character. The next time they see each other, then the PNPC can fill in the details, but they shouldn't be explicitly role-played under a certain character's account if they had no way of directly knowing what was happening.

If certain events surrounding a PNPC must be role-played, then they can very easily be "promoted" to PC status by submitting an application. I know that it kind of sucks having to wait for approval, but we'll work as quickly as we can to get them dealt with when they come up.

Keep in mind I'm not talking about anyone in particular, but we just want to prevent this kind of thing from becoming common practice. It's not really what PNPCs were meant for. Granted, it's always been a little vague as to just what PNPCs were supposed to be for, but I'm hoping this clears some things up at least a little bit.

Thanks, guys. :D
Orrion Carn

Post Posted: Thu, July 08th 2010 07:50pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Keep in mind I'm not talking about anyone in particular, but we just want to prevent this kind of thing from becoming common practice.

*Raises Hand* Sorry about that :? That was me you were referring to, don't lie LOL j/k

Sorry, I just use that method for one or two posts, to deem if the PNPC is interesting enough to warrant his/her own account. After the first post I did make an app for Jaira, so it was just a test post to see if I could nail a certain personality for her.

I've dumped two characters already because I didn't get a right feeling personality for Koshina and David O'Conner, so I didn't want that to happen again, or keep happening and flood the site with useless, unapped characters.

Again, that was completely my fault and I do it in the interests of the site :D
Kastor Antilles
Cray

Post Posted: Thu, July 08th 2010 10:27pm    Post subject:

Well, you could always post a thread in the assessment room if you want to scope out a character. That's what I would do, anyway. :p
Moff

Post Posted: Thu, July 08th 2010 10:35pm    Post subject:

Quote:
If they are interacting with another NPC, they can see and/or hear them,

You forgot smell, touch, taste... ahh, Tyderian Sector memories.

Quote:
Sorry, I just use that method for one or two posts, to deem if the PNPC is interesting enough to warrant his/her own account. After the first post I did make an app for Jaira, so it was just a test post to see if I could nail a certain personality for her.

Use the Assessment Room. That's what it's for... you can easily duplicate the conditions of the main timeline in there, if that's what you need. O_o

Quote:
I've dumped two characters already because I didn't get a right feeling personality for Koshina and David O'Conner, so I didn't want that to happen again, or keep happening and flood the site with useless, unapped characters.

Again, that was completely my fault and I do it in the interests of the site :D

*shrug* It would just get extremely confusing to keep doing it that way. If you want to test out a concept... Assessment Room. :p

Expand

----"Moff", CMAC Dreamcrusher, Official Administrative Waldorf and Statler----
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Badim Soilding
Orrion Carn

Post Posted: Fri, July 09th 2010 12:57am    Post subject:

*Sigh* Agreed.

Though, completely my bad, just trying to save some headaches, caused more I guess. :oops:
Star Wars: Unity Forum Index » Announcements » A Reminder About PNPCs
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: