Main Site Forums Holonet Tools About
Forum Index Rules Log in Search Profile Memberlist Usergroups Log in to check your private messages Register
Viscount-class command ship Spirit of Alderaan (Selvaris)
Star Wars: Unity Forum Index » Inner Rim » Viscount-class command ship Spirit of Alderaan (Selvaris)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fran Ulgo
Moff

Post Posted: Thu, March 04th 2010 10:01pm    Post subject: Viscount-class command ship Spirit of Alderaan (Selvaris)

Fran eagerly left behind the glistening white Lambda-class shuttle. It was too Imperial for her, no matter how many Republic Starbirds were emblazoned on its stabilizers and computer screens. And that bone-like pallor from the hull... far too Stormtrooper-like. But apparently, the New Republic Senate didn't want to fund an R&D program for a good, Republic-designed, Republic-built shuttle. No, it was more important to add more money to entitlement programs and whatnot.

But the Spirit of Alderaan... that was another story. Mon Calamari design, built on Republic worlds—including a nameplate fashioned on New Alderaan-- and assembled by Republic dock workers. No Imperial taint on even the nuts, bolts, or wiring. And given the name of the vessel, there'd damn well better not be.

Clad in her dark blue naval uniform (as she was performing naval duties), Fran strode through the vast starship. Salutes were snapped off as she walked by and quickly returned by the former soldier. After all, the crewmen had better things to do in readying the ship for its departure from Coruscant than to hail their commander. She just wasn't that type of leader.

Her aides trailed behind her, rattling of figures and statistics on the latest pirate activity around Selvaris. She'd already seen them: moderate-level stuff until the most recent attack. In that, they'd apparently managed to disable and capture an old MC80. The crew was being held hostage and so Ulgo took it upon herself to rectify the situation. But, if they could've overpowered an MC80 beforehand—and now had one under their control—she wasn't going to risk the crew of an MC90. The margin for error was too narrow for her tastes. Instead, she was pulling her flagship out for this one, as well as some back-up to cut off escape routes. She was going to get that ship and its crew back; no kriffing pirates were going to frustrate her aims.

After a while brooding and navigating the grand vessel, Ulgo finally reached the bridge. Rear Admiral Limpan was standing in the center of the bridge, conversing with Chief Engineer Adriphar.

However, Fran was unable to catch any of it as one of the aides bellowed, "Commander in Chief on the deck!"

That wound up fixing all eyes—or equivalent sensory organ—on the Alderaanian CiC. She quickly raised her hand. "Back to your posts. We have a mission to run."

She nodded to Limpan, and the Duro reciprocated. "How have you been keeping my ship, Admiral?"

A small smile played on the female admiral's blue lips. "I say she's in good enough condition to take on a few pirates. However, Commander Adriphar seems to disagree."

Fran fixed her gaze on the Mon Calamari. "Why is that?"

The engineer gurgled, an expression of nervousness. Adriphar was new on board, and from all reports was used to a very exacting, precise level of maintenance and upkeep. Fran knew Limpan received several dozen reports and complaints from the new engineer within his first month on board. Well, if he wanted to tighten every last nut on board, so much the better as far as Fran was concerned.

But, she wasn't a naval expert. That was why Limpan was absolutely essential: Ulgo could give her orders and the admiral would figure out the best way to achieve the goal. And if she felt the meticulous engineer was bordering on neurotic, then so be it.

"There is a point-zero-four percent fluctuation in sublight thrust, Admirals," the Mon Calamari said. "I feel that is unacceptable if this ship is going into combat."

Fran smiled. "Commander, we are not going to be engaging a serious threat. Pirates, nothing more. But, if the repairs do not take long, we might be able to let you fix that fluctuation."

"To do it correctly would require drydocking and disassembly of the sublight thrusters," Adriphar said bluntly. "I estimate it would take four standard weeks."

"I see. And I suppose we should have the hostages taken by the pirates wait four weeks, too? And let a bunch of corsairs prance around the sector in a Republic capital ship?" the commander asked pointedly.

"N-no, Admiral Ulgo."

Fran tried not to wince at the use of her naval title. On the ground, troops could address her a bit more properly as Commander without any confusion. But since that naval rank existed on its own, and was far junior to her position as Commander in Chief, it was improper to use... apparently. "Then we can live with a point-zero-four fluctuation for now. After that, feel free to drydock the ship and take it all apart if that'll make you happy. Make sure we're ready to jump to Selvaris within the hour."

"Yes, Admiral," acknowledged the engineering officer.

"Dismissed, Commander."

Without another word, Adriphar made for the lift. Ulgo and Limpan exchanged glances. Snipes just didn't understand at times. "Have you laid in a course for Selvaris yet?"

Limpan nodded. "Yes, ma'am. We'll jump to lightspeed once engineering gives the all-clear."

Ulgo stroked her chin. "See to it. I suppose I should finish my inspection..."

A wry gleam entered the rear admiral's eye, but she had enough control not to voice whatever she was thinking. There was a time and place for such remarks and the command deck was far from it.

But Fran noticed and could very well guess what the other officer was thinking. She wasn't sure she disagreed. Still, protocol was protocol.

"You have the bridge, Admiral," Fran noted, half-sighing with resignation. She turned to her aide, who eagerly stepped back and then followed her to the lift. His notepad was in hand, ready to mark down every little detail. Fran might have been in the mood to engage in such a thorough white-glove test, but after the brief discussion with the chief engineer...

She just shook her head and punched a command into the lift's control interface. Meh, maybe I'll feel better once we're in hyperspace.

The Spirit of Alderaan is en route to Selvaris.
Star Wars: Unity Forum Index » Inner Rim » Viscount-class command ship Spirit of Alderaan (Selvaris)
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: