Main Site Forums Holonet Tools About
Forum Index Rules Log in Search Profile Memberlist Usergroups Log in to check your private messages Register
The Future
Star Wars: Unity Forum Index » Assessment Room » The Future
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Han Solo
Han

Post Posted: Sun, August 19th 2012 12:23am    Post subject: The Future

This is a re-posting of something I brought up in the Blight Leapers thread. I think it's important enough that it deserves its own thread and I wanted to expand a little bit on it here.

As you all know, we're not as big or as active as we used to be. DRL (Darth Real Life) has kicked into overdrive for many of us and others have just simply felt the need to move onto other things. We still have a small, tight-knit group of players still posting and I think it's time that we cater to this group and make Unity the best it can be. So, what does that mean, exactly?

Initially, Unity was designed to be a large, galaxy-spanning game where everyone could have their own stories and be involved. Those type of sandbox games are great if we have the userbase and each player is willing to do their part. Unfortunately, we don't exactly have the numbers any longer to really utilize that kind of game to it fullest potential. Players eventually become bored with their plots and with a lack of any kind of interaction with other players (because they are so spread out across multiple systems), they soon give up and move on.

How do we fix it?

Well, I've been thinking about this all day today and into tonight and I've come to the conclusion that we should really start thinking bringing the remaining players together and focusing on plots where we can all interact instead of going off on our own (unless that's the type of thing you like to do). From what I recall, the character limit has been lifted, so we are all free to take up new characters to fill roles where needed. I think by working together and planning out plots together, we can really start to bring this place back to life.

Now, I've also been thinking about bringing in new players and recruiting as well. I've been doing a lot of role playing on theforce.net and I have a few people I may ask to come over and take a look at the place and see what they think. If you have any friends or players you know who you think would be interested, now is the time!

In closing, I fully intend to remain active and to post as much as possible from here on out. I hope I'm not alone in that and you are all willing to give this a chance.

I guess I should start with a role call - who's still here and willing to give this a go (while we're at it, I guess we could also use this thread to start planning out that next plot)? Let me know what you think!
 Back to top »
Badim Soilding
Orrion Carn

Post Posted: Sun, August 19th 2012 01:54am    Post subject:

I'm here! I'm just waiting for Alex, since I have intense writers block at the moment.

I personally think we're coming to a climax in the next couple months to within a year. Whatever that may entail, I'm excited.

But the one thing that may help, is a condensed layout. Instead of all these separate boards, condense them into their proper regions. It'd take some work on Cray's end, so it's fine but if we move on to another game (sequel perhaps), it'd be something that could streamline the look.

http://z13.invisionfree.com/Star_Wars_Resurgent/index.php

Something I was working on in my spare time, pay no attention to it other than the board layout of the galaxy.

But I do agree, we need to switch from the MMO playstyle, to a condensed playstyle with a small group of dedicated, active-to-semi-active players.
Lucas Pallanén-Davad
Alex

Post Posted: Sun, August 19th 2012 01:47pm    Post subject:

I'm here too! Sorry this last week was a little busy, and once I get a new laptop, my activity will increase again. Until then I'm a little limited, but will still continue to post on a daily basis with my key characters that may be locking up some other people. (starting tomorrow...I work through the rest of day and I've been finishing up season four of the Clone Wars)

I do agree that the few players that we have left are spread out a little thin with the vastness of the game. The only problem I foresee with condensing the game a little bit, would be when the plot hinges on one player posting. But when working together, creative elements can relieve that. So I'm in favor of a Unity re-haul.

Here is my addition to your idea Han: (an example))

We create a new topic forum titled: CURRENT OFFICIAL GAME PLOTS

By official, I just mean group-emphasis, community created plots.... individual plots can still be privately created and executed. We can activate as many official plots as we want, but I think we should limit them to two or three. We can divide up what characters we have and place them in as we see fit. That way we are not limited to one area and it gives some of the other players that can only be active in one plot, to focus their attention there. Others might want to post once a day, but are still waiting for someone respond in PLOT A, so they post in PLOT B instead with a different character.

Other characters can split off and do their own thing, then come back together for the second round of plots. Or not partake in any of the plots at all, but it will be where most of the real action takes place.

Here are some examples of plots:

Quote:
Plot One: Invasion of Bespin
The True Empire attempts to take Cloud City, but the Republic Resistance forces the True Empire to destroy it instead

Characters Involved:
yadda, yadda

Quote:
Plot Two: Dinner at the Solos
A diplomatic meeting takes a turn for the worse when one of the servants is poisoned.... all the attendants are under suspicion.

Characters Involved:
yadda, yadda

Quote:
Plot Three: Navigating the Asteroid Field, A Race Against Time
A Galaxy wide appeal to the best space pilots in the galaxy. The one to successfully navigate the asteroid field in X:YZ time gets 9898A Prize. Only the contestants do not realize that the simple race, becomes a staged entertainment run of fatal booby-traps, only the best will survive.

Characters Involved:
yadda,yadda

Rules should be outlined, and maybe some key NPC characters described.

I also think the "godtalking" rule should be revisited at the start of each plot. I'm comfortable with people using my characters for basic conversation and actions to move the plot along. Some people are not, and that is fine, but we need to know who is okay with what. The sheer number of posts by the Blight Leaper crew is successful because of this trust/confidence we place in each other.

By encouraging some "Core Plots" we get a drive to post.

Any ways, excited to keep playing!
 Back to top »
Han Solo
Han

Post Posted: Sun, August 19th 2012 02:18pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the response so far!

I definitely think it would benefit us in condensing things a bit. Everything is just so spread out compared to the players we still have active. Once Moff or Cray get on, I'll need to bring this up to them.

Alex, I love the layout that you presented for upcoming plots. I believe the best plots work when there has been extensive planning beforehand. The thing I think we need to make sure happens is that each individual plot continues to feed into the overall story - sorta like a movie or a novel. Each plot rolls right into the next and there will be consequences for certain things going down. Also, in the event of multiple plots running at the same time, it would probably benefit us to eventually connect them with other plots that are ongoing at the same time.

As for the "godtalk" thing, I never liked it. That's just my own personal opinion and I completely understand that others do like it and that it can work well. At this point, I don't think I could give my blessing for that to be done with my characters unless there are special circumstances or we play out of combined post. I'm just of the mentality that you signed up for that particular character, you've been in their shoes long enough and you should have the final say as to what they say or do. I see it on par with getting a different actor to play the same character in the same story or in novels (especially the SW novels), when different authors write the same characters throughout the course of a long 9-book series. There are a lot of inconsistencies and you run the risk of the character acting out of character at certain junctures.

Like I said, this is nothing against those that enjoy doing this. It's just my own personal opinion and why I prefer to stay away from it with my characters.
 Back to top »
Ams Jendob
Moff

Post Posted: Sun, August 19th 2012 05:04pm    Post subject:

Hey guys. I'm still here, kinda. Basically, my activity problem is waiting on posts for a complex plot... and really, I've milked the Ams/Shy guilt/grief/sadness angle for all that I'm going to.

While I fully encourage you all to try to get together and run a plot, I have to say that I'd probably keep most or all of my characters clear. Just long experience... two's a plot, three is eight months to get off a godawful ice planet. :p I might use my NR character, if there's a slot... but I'm also a stickler for "right character, right time." So, if there's a bank robbery or a terrorist plot at a grocery store (just for example), you're not like to see Ams and Shy mucking about in those settings. When's the last time the King of Sweden went to the bank or the grocery store or... well... anything a normal person does? :p

Same with other characters. It's always been a pet peeve of mine that the main characters in SW can end up in the most ridiculous locales... so, if I have someone that would actually be doing something, that's cool. But—I think it was in VII or VIII—there was some weird plot idea kicking around... I don't even remember the details, but it was just way out of place. But, by the same token, I don't want your guys' well-thought out plans being twisted and warped around just to include me. Do what you will... and I'll pop in from time to time. :p

NOW I GOTS ME SOME REAPERS TO KILLZOR

Expand

----"Moff", CMAC Dreamcrusher, Official Administrative Waldorf and Statler----
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Lucas Pallanén-Davad
Alex

Post Posted: Mon, August 20th 2012 03:10am    Post subject:

Now might be a good time to test out a new character, Ams. :P

And yeah Han, I totally respect your opinion. I can and have seen that happen multiple times. It's good to revisit at the start of each, and maybe some time down the line, you might be behind a new character without very much of a background that you would like others to explore through "godtalking". It might be a character that ultimately will only serve out the duration of one or two plots, for example, and you don't really have any backstory or any kind of established persona.

Or that may never happen and we are still good. hahaha.

All in all, I'm glad people are starting to filter their way back on.
 Back to top »
Lucas Pallanén-Davad
Alex

Post Posted: Thu, August 23rd 2012 12:18am    Post subject:

I've changed my above post.

I think what I would like to do, and I think Jess is on the same page, is to write an end for my characters here on Unity. I want to be able to "walk away" and feel as though I completed what I set out to do from the beginning.

I still plan to RP for the rest of the year, because I have a lot of loose ends for many characters. I think a smaller one-ship RPG would be ideal, but I think Unity is coming to a close for many people, and I don't want it to go out like VIII... "unfinished".

I would propose we set a timeline and just roll out the end of this thing. I would still love to stay in touch and even start something new, but I just think we need to end this thing right.
 Back to top »
Ams Jendob
Moff

Post Posted: Thu, August 23rd 2012 12:23am    Post subject:

Well... I know Cray wants to keep the site running, no matter what. Ultimately, I defer to his judgment on whether the game continues—in fact, I told him that I'd lock the door behind him when the day came—but I think we should continue to use this forum as a hub. Plus then it spares us from having to have a bunch of Off-Topic forums across other boards we may set up.

So, this will be the community center, and the other boards—should they come—can be dedicated entirely to the game and game issues. And then at least, Unity can always live on. You know?

Expand

Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Lucas Pallanén-Davad
Alex

Post Posted: Thu, August 23rd 2012 12:29am    Post subject:

Oh yeah, I don't mean that everyone has to quit and the forums shut down, but for my characters, I don't know if I can keep up the excitement, haha. They have been through so much and I feel like the moment I step outside of the leaper crew, the galaxy hasn't quite caught up with us.

I don't want to lose touch with anyone and I think using these forums as a central hub is a good idea.
 Back to top »
Lucas Pallanén-Davad
Alex

Post Posted: Thu, August 23rd 2012 07:08pm    Post subject:

Carn and Morgan, what say ye? I know we talked about working towards the end of the game a while back... I don't want everyone to think I want it to end in a month or two, but in a year, I want to have everything in order.
 Back to top »
Badim Soilding
Orrion Carn

Post Posted: Thu, August 23rd 2012 07:13pm    Post subject:

I'm in. But my activity will be severely reduced, I just nailed a job at Wal-Mart as the night-shift dairy/frozen guy, and I still have EVE. But I will post as often as I can.
Lucas Pallanén-Davad
Alex

Post Posted: Thu, August 23rd 2012 07:36pm    Post subject:

Good! And yay for $$$
 Back to top »
Droideka 3-0021AK2

Post Posted: Thu, August 23rd 2012 08:41pm    Post subject:

I'm on MSN right now if you want to work out a post.

And someone needs to put Orrion Carn under my character name :p
 Back to top »
Kyp Durron
Kyp

Post Posted: Fri, August 24th 2012 02:55am    Post subject:

Yeah I've wanted to jump in, I just need a place to do so. I feel so lost jumping in on the damn near never ending saga of the Blight Leapers :P.
Pilot of the Modified RZ-1 A-Wing Interceptor Vigilance

"No change comes without conflict. Perhaps my destiny is to be the irritant that forces the discussion, the blister that lets you know your boots don't fit."
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Anakin Solo
Alex

Post Posted: Fri, August 24th 2012 03:16am    Post subject:

You could actually make an appearance within the Coruscant forum. Han Solo just woke up from being under Lumiya's torture plot. haha

I think the Blight Leaper is splitting up a bit and coming together with whoever is left on the forums. We're trying to figure out where to go from here. Any plots you would like to explore Kyp?

I'm going to be posting more as Anakin, if that helps.
 Back to top »
Han Solo
Han

Post Posted: Fri, August 24th 2012 09:28am    Post subject:

The more, the merrier! :)

I'm also going to be bringing Luke back to a more active role, if you wanted to interact with him on anything. It's been far too long!
 Back to top »
Lucas Pallanén-Davad
Alex

Post Posted: Thu, August 30th 2012 10:23pm    Post subject:

Sorry! This is the first week of school! So I'm a little strapped right now!
 Back to top »
Ams Jendob
Moff

Post Posted: Fri, August 31st 2012 07:50am    Post subject:

I think that buggered just about all of us... leaving poor Han alone. :(

Expand

Back to top »
Anakin Solo
Alex

Post Posted: Mon, September 03rd 2012 01:39am    Post subject:

But it wasn't for long!
 Back to top »
Ams Jendob
Moff

Post Posted: Mon, September 03rd 2012 09:58am    Post subject:

It's another matter with X-Ray Diffraction Crystallography, Inorganic Chemistry, and Biochemistry. :p

Expand

Back to top »
Lucas Pallanén-Davad
Alex

Post Posted: Mon, September 03rd 2012 07:28pm    Post subject:

dems sum of those SmaRt Clases
 Back to top »
Ams Jendob
Moff

Post Posted: Mon, September 03rd 2012 07:40pm    Post subject:

Not smart, just shittons of work and studying. At least it'll be better by December. If I can get Cray to post then. :p

Expand

Back to top »
Tseneca Lowry-Fink
Jess

Post Posted: Thu, November 29th 2012 02:53am    Post subject:

Hey guys... whats up? LOL

sersiously, i'm behind. summary?
 Back to top »
Ams Jendob
Moff

Post Posted: Thu, November 29th 2012 05:34pm    Post subject:

Some tumbleweeds... the semester still grinds on and holds many of us prisoner. :(

Expand

Back to top »
Star Wars: Unity Forum Index » Assessment Room » The Future
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: