Main Site Forums Holonet Tools About
Forum Index Rules Log in Search Profile Memberlist Usergroups Log in to check your private messages Register
Blight-Leaping
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56 ... 60, 61, 62  Next
Star Wars: Unity Forum Index » Assessment Room » Blight-Leaping
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morgan ZIM
Space Jawa

Post Posted: Mon, January 23rd 2012 11:34pm    Post subject:

I'm game for something, though it would be real nice if we could either locate Alex and either twist his arm or unleash a pink Pie on him till he gets back in the game or find some way to go about things where we don't need to wait days/weeks on end for him to do something, since he seems to be one of the major things we're waiting on at the moment.
Orrion Carn
Orrion Carn

Post Posted: Tue, January 24th 2012 01:40am    Post subject:

WARNING: DO NOT EXPECT A RETURN FROM ME

Stupid tags bringing me back in here. :p

Just wanted to peek in and confirm the post Morgan posted a while ago, I'm so burnt out on Star Wars I'm actually sick of hearing the name in RP terms.

What this means is I'm actually sick of my character's being so 2D that if I could, I'd tell my past self to make more decent character's in terms of their...character.

So, goodbye, have fun and good luck with the game guys.
"Yep, hand to hand combat is the old school way to kill your enemies. Killing a man with your bare hands says 'We're all equals as men' except I'm slightly more equal because I'm still alive and your dead. Of course dropping a nuke on them from 50 thousand feet is totally acceptable. I mean let's face it, there just not enough time in this world to show everybody the courtesy of a good strangling." -Sarge

This tune can make anything you do sound heroic. *Starts eating a cheeseburger*
 Back to top »
Kastor Antilles
Cray

Post Posted: Tue, January 24th 2012 08:15am    Post subject:

I was sick of Star Wars before we started Unity. I'd even say I resent Star Wars now, and I certainly hate my main character from VIII. And yet I still post here with new characters and am quite happy here. It's possible.
Moff

Post Posted: Tue, January 24th 2012 12:49pm    Post subject:

Yeah. SW sucks, but Unity is awesome. Namely because it's so distant from the unholy abominations of canon, the cyclical storylines, the thousands of superweapons and omnipotent artifacts, ****ing Force zombies... we're off in our own little world. Sure, it has SW stuff in it, but it's all the cool stuff without the godawful trappings. Unless I want to have someone rant about the ridiculous good-evil dichotomy, then they can call back a thousand years to talk about it. :p

So, SW = Bad... Unity = Awesomeness.

Expand

----"Moff", CMAC Dreamcrusher, Official Administrative Waldorf and Statler----
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Morgan ZIM
Space Jawa

Post Posted: Tue, January 24th 2012 01:00pm    Post subject:

I like Star Wars.

I wouldn't be playing this game if I didn't like Star Wars... :(
Ams Jendob
Moff

Post Posted: Tue, January 24th 2012 01:13pm    Post subject:

An Ewok and a Moff overrule a Jawa! :p

It's a nice setting for a game... at least an easy setting. Incredibly rich and broad in scope, with a variety of time periods ranging from nearly sword-and-sandal to World War 2 in Space. But God forbid you know anything about physics, chemistry or military tactics beyond elementary school: it will drive you insane. <_<

Expand

Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Morgan ZIM
Space Jawa

Post Posted: Tue, January 24th 2012 01:17pm    Post subject:

Ams Jendob wrote:
But God forbid you know anything about physics, chemistry or military tactics beyond elementary school: it will drive you insane. <_<

Couldn't you say the same thing about 90% of all other Sci-Fi movies?

Or, for that matter, most fiction movies in general?
Ams Jendob
Moff

Post Posted: Tue, January 24th 2012 01:30pm    Post subject:

Except in SW, they try to justify it or make it hard sci-fi on top of all the breaches. So it's totally contradictory, totally nonsensical. It's like watching Voyager fly through the crack in a black hole's event horizon... :p

Take StarCraft. Not hard sci-fi at all... and it never pretends to be. Same with BSG. The only hard things about them is once something is said to do something a certain way, it does it that way. So, a gauss rifle shoots a bullet. Not a bullet this time, and a plasma pulse that time, and quantum flux interference bolt next... and the worst offenders are in the guidebooks for RPGs! :p

But other times, it's just horrible lapses in basic laws of nature that are inexcusable. Take the end of Darksaber (spoilers in the tag):
Expand

But it's a very noticeable and jarring breach that snaps you out of the moment, and to this day, I don't know if it was due to ignorance or a DEM to protect a planet that happened to appear in one movie. I mean, Lord knows how utterly sacred any character, vehicle, or planet is if it was in the films. :p

Expand

Back to top »
Han Solo
Han

Post Posted: Tue, January 24th 2012 05:11pm    Post subject:

To be honest, you're looking too much into things. Star Wars isn't meant to be rocket science and perfect to whatever you said above. It's a fantasy world set in space. It's meant to be fun. You're not supposed to sit there and tear apart every technical aspect or analyze every rule of physics and figure out how it's breaking it and why. It's just ridiculous to think that way over something that isn't real and doesn't follow the same rules we have here on Earth.

It's an escape from daily life - sit back, relax and look at it through the eyes of a child and enjoy it for what it is.
 Back to top »
Ams Jendob
Moff

Post Posted: Tue, January 24th 2012 05:15pm    Post subject:

Darksaber is not an escape from daily life; it's a dreary tome loaded with repeated cavalry rescues and dei ex machina. Really, all he gets remotely right is some characterization and the "good guys are always right, even when they blow up planets" rule of SW. :p

Quote:
It's just ridiculous to think that way over something that isn't real and doesn't follow the same rules we have here on Earth.

We're not talking about a violation of some extremely complicated and obscure rule of quantum mechanics. We're talking about dropping something... and it falls into the sun instead of to the ground. There's "fast and loose" and then there's ridiculous. Looney Tunes handles gravity better than Kevin J. Anderson. <_<

It's just so jarring that it shatters my suspension of disbelief. Now, take the supposed "Endor Holocaust" so beloved of Curtis Saxton. Physically, he's absolutely right. Hell, he probably underplays it to a degree. And I don't care; I don't think the happy ending to RotJ should be changed to a screaming firestorm of death and and Ewok villages being smashed into crater floors by crashing debris. That's not what the story is about. :p

So, it's not "Oh my God, it doesn't rigorously follow all of the rules of science!" as much as "Wait, what happened? That makes no sense on any level... except the "Oh, let's save the pristine jungles (which were actually being obliterated an acre at a time by Daala's bombardment)" angle. I mean, you can't have the stupid thing crash into body it's orbiting? :p

Expand

Back to top »
Kastor Antilles
Cray

Post Posted: Tue, January 24th 2012 05:56pm    Post subject:

I really have no interest in how technically or scientific accurate Star Wars is. I'm turned off on it for other reasons, not limited to story, the fandom and so on.
Moff

Post Posted: Tue, January 24th 2012 06:05pm    Post subject:

Yes, there's that, too. I was just citing a specific example of one deal-breaker from a generally poorly-regarded book. The technical inconsistencies is what burned me out on my hare-brained schemes for another VII or a dystopian future SW (where I'd get to design everything <_<) with a "Sith Lord Sean Connery™" who battles the "Last Skywalker™" :p

Crappy writing, general burn-out, Tim Zahn's going off the deep-end after Mara got offed, and TOR killed SW for me. Technical stuff is just minor annoyances that can get inflated in RPGs (except, as I said, that magical gravity tweak from Darksaber... which I guess can be filed under "crappy writing"). Of course, since most of my involvement is in RPGs... I tend to talk about the technical stuff more than the story frak-ups. Especially since it's easier to debate rather than "Han shot first" since everyone knows he did. <_<

...Plus it lets me show off why I'm spending tens of thousands of dollars! :p

Expand

Back to top »
Han Solo
Han

Post Posted: Tue, January 24th 2012 06:33pm    Post subject:

In the end it's still just fantasy. I don't let that bother me.

And I don't need to reiterate my stance on the Prequels or the changes to the Originals. That's my only issue with Star Wars, really. And of course, there will be aspects of the EU that are like nails on a chalkboard, but you take the good and throw away the bad. That's why I like coming up with my own "canon."
 Back to top »
Ams Jendob
Moff

Post Posted: Tue, January 24th 2012 06:44pm    Post subject:

That's why Unity is awesome. Actually, that's part of it. It's also awesome because it took the pile of crap that was Darksaber and pulled a diamond mine out of it.

Once you start selectively filtering the EU, PT, and OT for an RPG... I dunno... then it's less "SW RPG" and more "HOW I WANT STAR WARS TO BE VERSION 27." Having one break point is about the most that can be handled by a broad selection of players. That's why I'm not really pursuing the AU Endors anymore (since they also rewrote the PT), or the canon-distant future... And there's just no mystery, fun, or wonder left in SW. Everything is laid open, explained half-assedly (take what became of Revan and the Exile), with a little tie-in for the new project from LFL. It's cute from 1992-2000 (since they ignored Marvel mostly). But now that Marvel is being re-integrated (somewhat), you now have thirty-five years of self-referential plot incest, plus accomodating all of the changes to source material (No... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO) and the newest TV series Lucas wants to pump out to sell toys.

So, if you're going to be relatively close to canon happenings, you're damned if you stick to canon for sure... and you're damned if you cut it down too. So... *shrug*

Quote:
either locate Alex and either twist his arm or unleash a pink Pie on him till he gets back in the game

...We should ask about proper names for dessert ideas? Throw him a party? Dump a bag of flour on his head? I don't follow. :p

Expand

Back to top »
Tseneca Lowry-Fink
Jess

Post Posted: Wed, January 25th 2012 12:37am    Post subject:

O_o...

Wowsa.

I leave for half a day and the leaping forum explodes with a flurry of concussive activity.

I like SW and Unity. I like SW because it makes me feel better when I'm sad or stressed or upset. Its comforting... like a warm blanket and pie... but also with deadly weapons.

I like Unity because my life is insane, and I get to be someone else for a bit. I also like it because I don't have much time to hang out with Alex face to face, and this is how we keep in touch because our schedules clash. On a non-real note, its fun to fade out and write. I also like the above mentioned deadly weapons.

I'm have fun with both SW and Unity, no matter how alike or different they are. Its good to be in a place where people speak my language.

I try not to get to into the debates mostly because i'm in it for the pure glee of it all, not the politics. If I talk about the politics, it ruins the magic for me. I can see my bookshelf from where im sitting, and the spines of all of my SW books makes me think of being on vacation in high school and reading by the beach, or reading under my desk in the fifth grade so I wouldn't get into trouble... or playing Star Wars EU plots with my best friend at recess and on long weekends. I know it sounds cheesy and old... maybe its because I'm one of those girls who gets all nostalgic about things like this. The one thing I do know, though, is that part of who I am is in my ability to keep whats special about Star Wars close to my heart.

Don't laugh at me for all of that. I'm completely serious. I'm bringing it up to maybe remind people about the humanistic side of it, rather than the economics.

Food for thought. :-D
 Back to top »
Riene Zend
Moff

Post Posted: Wed, January 25th 2012 03:47pm    Post subject:

Who said Unity isn't fun? Riene smash. >_>

It's just that SW, for me, when taken as a whole... not as six movies, not as three movies, four movies and two books... but the whole thing that ultimately any good GM will have to look at, is just too bloated, too contradictory, and has been handled by far too many people. Each left their own mark, some good... some not so much. Karen Traviss pointed out the hypocrisy in the PT Jedi and their unrealistic perfection in the face of what they actually did... then she replaced George's Mary Sue Jedi with her own Mary Sue Mandos. Zahn is widely regarded as one of the best, namely because he breaks with the tradition of "all Imperials are 1930s serial/comicbook villains" and gives them depth and ability. Then he lashes out against Mara's death in canon by supercharging her in skills in life. You can basically find a pet character for each author who gets coddled and amped-up... you can find a chew toy for most, as well.

The result is you have inconsistent characterizations, petty competitions for "biggest superweapon," "biggest doombringer to the Galaxy," and so on. The need to revisit old locales, characters, and plots has left it feeling stale and repetitive. I mean, how many universal saviors do come out of Tatooine? How many battles on Hoth and Endor? It also more or less destroyed everything accomplished by the characters in the original trilogy: as Lucas sees it, Vader falls, destroys the Jedi, Luke rises, turns Vader, and Vader destroys the Sith before dying... leaving Luke to start the Jedi Order anew and safeguard peace and happiness and bunnies.

But in the EU, we have Cronal, Palpatine's clones, Lumiya, Flint, DeSann, the Reborn, Tavion Axmis, Herethir (or whatever :p), Jacen Solo, Darth Krayt and the One Sith... and those are just the ones that merrily trample on the whole "The Sith are defeated thing." Because, well... they're apparently not. :p

And totally undermines the magnitude of Vader's sacrifice. He went from saving the Galaxy and defeating the evil Empire and the Sith with Luke's help to just ending round 427 of the Jedi-Sith bout. Which one is more emotionally satisfying?

Expand
 Back to top »
Tseneca Lowry-Fink
Jess

Post Posted: Wed, January 25th 2012 04:24pm    Post subject:

I have to say, I am a little put off by this conversation. Your points are well taken and your opinions valid, but I'm having a lot of trouble with the cynicism. to be honest, it strikes me as a little snobbish (please don't take offense, Moff, as I said, I'm not interested in debate.. I cannot speak for others). Perhaps it is because this thread isn't exactly built for this kind of conversation. I'm not sure what was said to go off on this bird walk, i apologize that I can't be more receptive to it.

Getting back on track:

Alex, darling, let me know what your schedule is. I left you two spring boards to follow up on. Nico is currently in port at Dac, and if you are busy, I would be more than happy to tug her along.

Jawa, I am going to post tonite with the tessaret crew. You are more than welcome to jump on that, or not, your discretion, as usual.

I currently have two campaigns on Dac happening at the moment, and one starting up on Kuat. revered are those who join me. <3
 Back to top »
Ams Jendob
Moff

Post Posted: Wed, January 25th 2012 07:40pm    Post subject:

That's okay. You're entitled to your own opinion; if you like SW, hey... more power to you. :)

But you are right; we've dragged this thread far enough off-topic. Sorry about that. NINE DAY BAN FOR ORRION FOR STARTING IT! :p

Expand

Back to top »
Jonas Eisley
Alex

Post Posted: Sun, January 29th 2012 07:45pm    Post subject:

I can safely say I am back. :p

I'm posting this from my phone, so it is short... But I'll be on tonight to restart the plots. A lot came up at once, but all that is over now.
 Back to top »
Jonas Eisley
Alex

Post Posted: Sun, January 29th 2012 07:47pm    Post subject:

And Ams, you should RP with us! Even if it requires some new freelance character...
 Back to top »
Jonas Eisley
Alex

Post Posted: Thu, June 14th 2012 06:08pm    Post subject:

Break me out of prison.
 Back to top »
Tseneca Lowry-Fink
Jess

Post Posted: Thu, June 14th 2012 06:30pm    Post subject:

Soooo.... I kinda wanna play still...
 Back to top »
Orrion Carn
Orrion Carn

Post Posted: Thu, June 14th 2012 06:37pm    Post subject:

deleted
"Yep, hand to hand combat is the old school way to kill your enemies. Killing a man with your bare hands says 'We're all equals as men' except I'm slightly more equal because I'm still alive and your dead. Of course dropping a nuke on them from 50 thousand feet is totally acceptable. I mean let's face it, there just not enough time in this world to show everybody the courtesy of a good strangling." -Sarge

This tune can make anything you do sound heroic. *Starts eating a cheeseburger*
 Back to top »
Lucas Pallanén-Davad
Alex

Post Posted: Thu, June 14th 2012 07:04pm    Post subject:

I'm glad you are planning to post, Var's arrival is so unexpected, yet perfect.
 Back to top »
Tarison Var
Orrion Carn

Post Posted: Thu, June 14th 2012 07:10pm    Post subject:

You'll be surprised.

Code of the Sith
 Back to top »
Star Wars: Unity Forum Index » Assessment Room » Blight-Leaping
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56 ... 60, 61, 62  Next
Page 55 of 62

Jump to: