Main Site Forums Holonet Tools About
Forum Index Rules Log in Search Profile Memberlist Usergroups Log in to check your private messages Register
Science Fiction
Star Wars: Unity Forum Index » The Cantina » Science Fiction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ams Jendob
Moff

Post Posted: Sat, August 20th 2011 07:19pm    Post subject: Science Fiction

Obviously, we all like—or feel some kind of not-excessively-repulsive hatred for—Star Wars. :p

But, most of hopefully have other interests beyond lining George Lucas' pockets by gobbling up merchandise of an increasingly bipolar, contradictory, and self-absorbed franchise. I mean, we could probably write a book on the contradictions, moronic, and just plain silly things on SW just up to today. But we won't do that yet. Instead, we shall discuss the other science fiction things that keep us sane. :p

For me, I've read Asimov's Foundation series, Heinlein's Starship Troopers, the markedly unrelated first and third films of the similarly-named movie trilogy (not interested in Starship Troopers 2), an avid StarCraft fan, Star Trek, Stargate (the movie and all three series), the original BSG, the re-imagined series (which I'm watching now), Mass Effect (I lurrrrrrrrrve teh Mass Effect), Terminator, and I've just finished reading up on an excellent military science fiction series (finished the latest novel yesterday... and yes, I lurrrrrrrrrves it moar than teh Mass Effect). And... well... sometimes I do wonder why I keep playing aroudn in George Lucas' sandbox when there are others that are so much cleaner, with nicer toys, and fewer diseases... of fandom.

So, what else have you guys gotten into? What stands out, and what makes even the PT look good? <_<

Expand

----"Moff", CMAC Dreamcrusher, Official Administrative Waldorf and Statler----
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Kalydon Skirata
Kal

Post Posted: Sat, August 20th 2011 08:57pm    Post subject:

Ams Jendob wrote:

the markedly unrelated first and third films of the similarly-named movie trilogy (not interested in Starship Troopers 2)

To this day I cannot understand why you made yourself suffer through Starship Troopers 3 Marauder, but not 2. Marauder was a god awful mess that made Attack of the Clones look like a masterpiece.

Ams Jendob wrote:

Mass Effect (I lurrrrrrrrrve teh Mass Effect)

Be sure to ask Mordin about Gilbert & Sullivan!

Ams Jendob wrote:

I've just finished reading up on an excellent military science fiction series (finished the latest novel yesterday... and yes, I lurrrrrrrrrves it moar than teh Mass Effect).

And the name of this mystery series would be...?

Warhammer 40,000 has had me interested for many years, at least 10 or so. It started with collecting a few of the models and building them, none of the tabletop gaming. Over time I grew increasingly interested in it until my local hobby shop closed and for a few years there was nothing new for me.

Then I got Dawn of War on the PC. That game and the subsequent expansions sucked so much time away. Then you have Dawn of War 2, it's expansions, the Ultramarines movie, the upcoming Space Marine game...lots of good stuff out there. Great for me as I really didn't want to get back into the models. Sure the kits are awesome, but they're far too damned expensive. $30-40 for a 10-man Space Marine squad! Ridiculous.

Aside from that, there's Halo, Mass Effect, Trek, Babylon 5, classic Battlestar Galactica, various Mobile Suit Gundam series, and more. Too many to really list.
Moff

Post Posted: Sat, August 20th 2011 09:49pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Be sure to ask Mordin about Gilbert & Sullivan!

Kal... I am truly hurt that you think I don't already know that Mordin is the very model of a scientist salarian, he's studied species turian, asari, and batarian, that he's quite good at genetics as a subset of biology, of which he is an expert which he's aware is a tautology.

My, yes, I know his xenoscience studies range from urban to agrarian, he is the very model of a scientist salarian!

:p

Quote:
To this day I cannot understand why you made yourself suffer through Starship Troopers 3 Marauder, but not 2. Marauder was a god awful mess that made Attack of the Clones look like a masterpiece.

It's cheesy. Really cheesy. It helps you not take it so seriously. Also, Rico adding some ham with that cheese.

Quote:
Aside from that, there's Halo, Mass Effect, Trek, Babylon 5, classic Battlestar Galactica, various Mobile Suit Gundam series, and more. Too many to really list.

Ever poke around at David Weber's work?

Expand

Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Xerros Orade
Cheapy

Post Posted: Sat, August 20th 2011 10:10pm    Post subject:

Star Wars, obviously.

Then you have Halo (Which has been narratively abused almost as much as Star Wars; See Reach for one example), Mass Effect (Which was great in the first game but really dropped the ball in the second), Fallout (My true love when it comes to RPGs, with the exception of F3), StarCraft (Absolutely pure FLAWLESS VICTORY), Firefly (Also perfect), nBSG, StarGate (Rest in Peace, televised SciFi) and Crysis (Which is my new Halo).

I've never been much of a fan of Warhammer; a lot of the other users on Spacebattles are huge fans but after almost a year and a half it still hasn't rubbed off on me.

Whosaywhatta?
Quote:
"Que?" - Me
"Queso?" - Jase
"Che Cosa?" - Alex
"Who say what now?" - Space Jawa
"...Remind me again why I don't set you all on fire?" :P - Moff
 Back to top »
Ams Jendob
Moff

Post Posted: Sat, August 20th 2011 10:14pm    Post subject:

Did not the demon Traviss begin writing for Halo? <_<

Expand

Back to top »
Xerros Orade
Cheapy

Post Posted: Sat, August 20th 2011 10:16pm    Post subject:

Ams Jendob wrote:
Did not the demon Traviss begin writing for Halo? <_<

Believe me, Halo canon was a clusterfrak before Traviss' book was a gleam in 343's eye.

Whosaywhatta?
Quote:
"Que?" - Me
"Queso?" - Jase
"Che Cosa?" - Alex
 Back to top »
Ams Jendob
Moff

Post Posted: Sat, August 20th 2011 10:23pm    Post subject:

Honestly, the overenthusiastic efforts of a certain asthmatic Sith Lord in the last game kinda... turned me off to Halo. I did watch a friend of mine play it on his laptop in community college, though. He sucked. :p

Expand

Back to top »
Xerros Orade
Cheapy

Post Posted: Sat, August 20th 2011 10:40pm    Post subject:

Ams Jendob wrote:
Honestly, the overenthusiastic efforts of a certain asthmatic Sith Lord in the last game kinda... turned me off to Halo.

Not understand...?

Whosaywhatta?
Quote:
"Que?" - Me
"Queso?" - Jase
"Che Cosa?" - Alex
 Back to top »
Ams Jendob
Moff

Post Posted: Sat, August 20th 2011 11:10pm    Post subject:

Swali was something of an over-enthused fanboy. To my... chagrin, we'll say. :p

Expand

Back to top »
Morgan ZIM
Space Jawa

Post Posted: Sun, August 21st 2011 12:37am    Post subject:

The story in Halo comes second to shootin' stuff, anyway.

For me, there's Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis, (sometimes) Star Trek, Galaxy Quest, George Orwell. Probably some other things I'm not remembering right now.

The big thing for me at the moment, though, is an assortment of Sci-Fi comic series. Atomic Robo, some of the Green Lantern stories, and Marvel's Cosmic properties. Especially the stuff written by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning, like their Guardians of the Galaxy run and Thanos Imperative. Made me a big fan of Rocket Raccoon and Groot, too. As in, "I may very well be getting the upcoming Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom game and a 360 to play it on simply because they're making Rocket Raccoon a playable character in it" big.
Xerros Orade
Cheapy

Post Posted: Sun, August 21st 2011 12:01pm    Post subject:

Ams Jendob wrote:
Swali was something of an over-enthused fanboy. To my... chagrin, we'll say. :p

I always wondered why Vader approved the "Dark Trooper Mark IVs". :P

Whosaywhatta?
Quote:
"Que?" - Me
"Queso?" - Jase
"Che Cosa?" - Alex
 Back to top »
Ams Jendob
Moff

Post Posted: Sun, August 21st 2011 12:44pm    Post subject:

...Approved? He created the damned things. :p

Expand

Back to top »
Tseneca Lowry-Fink
Jess

Post Posted: Mon, August 22nd 2011 01:54am    Post subject:

I hesitate to get into these conversations because of the all too inevitable "I'm a bigger nerd then you!!" competitions that stem from them. To that risk: Im an avid Bradbury reader with a fairly substantial collection of his books; I like Asimov, Clarke, Heinlein (but not too much), and Herbert. I dont watch tons of TV, but I like (d) SG-1 too.

I dunno, Lately I've been re- reading a lot of Lovecraft. But Im working on my English credential so I've been taking a break from genre sci fi and looking at cusp stuff. I reccomend any of Matt Ruff's books (Sewer, Gas and Electric OR Bad Monkeys)
 Back to top »
Ams Jendob
Moff

Post Posted: Tue, August 23rd 2011 10:28am    Post subject:

There shall be no Nerd-Off here. :p

Expand

Back to top »
David Hunt
David Hunt

Post Posted: Thu, August 25th 2011 10:32pm    Post subject:

Suppose this only partially counts as Sci-Fi, but I've just started The Man in the High Castle, set in the 1960s, with the main idea being an Axis victory in a prolonged WWII. Some pretty crazy background ideas going on, like a German colonization of Mars, but quite enjoying it so far. The main story's set in a North America divided between Japan and Germany.
 Back to top »
Ams Jendob
Moff

Post Posted: Fri, August 26th 2011 12:35pm    Post subject:

Damn time-traveling jetpack Hitler. :(

Expand

Back to top »
David Hunt
David Hunt

Post Posted: Fri, August 26th 2011 01:37pm    Post subject:

Ams Jendob wrote:
Damn time-traveling jetpack Hitler. :(

Actually, Hitler is dying with syphillis in it, which I found quite interesting as it's been theorised that he had syphillis in RL. Bormann was Fuhrer for a while but has just died.
 Back to top »
Ams Jendob
Moff

Post Posted: Fri, August 26th 2011 04:42pm    Post subject:

Just so you know... making that crack has sent me on a three and a half hour TVTropes jag. :(

EDIT: Doctor Who jokes... I only got it because I watched some special on BBC America... :p

Expand

Back to top »
Star Wars: Unity Forum Index » The Cantina » Science Fiction
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: