Main Site Forums Holonet Tools About
Forum Index Rules Log in Search Profile Memberlist Usergroups Log in to check your private messages Register
Star Trek Online
Star Wars: Unity Forum Index » The Cantina » Star Trek Online
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lucas Pallanén-Davad
Alex

Post Posted: Sat, July 02nd 2011 07:17pm    Post subject: Star Trek Online

I think I'm getting it.

You won't see me. Ever. Again.
 Back to top »
Orrion Carn
Orrion Carn

Post Posted: Sat, July 02nd 2011 07:48pm    Post subject:

MMOs have never been my thing. The closest thing I've gotten to Warcraft is craft games like Minecraft and Starcraft :p

Plus I'm not for DRM or continually paying to play. I hate that. That's why I'm hoping that The Old Republic has an offline, non-paying feature so I can enjoy the game without having to worry about my crappy bandwidth (Seriously, with HughesNet being a satellite service, you could be right next door and it'd show me as 500-600 miles away, making ping up to 1200-2000 for me)

I will love Bioware forever if they include this rumored feature. I already love them, but I will love them even more.
"Yep, hand to hand combat is the old school way to kill your enemies. Killing a man with your bare hands says 'We're all equals as men' except I'm slightly more equal because I'm still alive and your dead. Of course dropping a nuke on them from 50 thousand feet is totally acceptable. I mean let's face it, there just not enough time in this world to show everybody the courtesy of a good strangling." -Sarge

This tune can make anything you do sound heroic. *Starts eating a cheeseburger*
 Back to top »
Ams Jendob
Moff

Post Posted: Sat, July 02nd 2011 09:38pm    Post subject:

Hmph. And Cray said opening an ST game was a stupid idea. :(

Expand

----"Moff", CMAC Dreamcrusher, Official Administrative Waldorf and Statler----
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Orrion Carn
Orrion Carn

Post Posted: Sat, July 02nd 2011 09:40pm    Post subject:

You wouldn't get me playing. Super hard science where you have to use a calculator for every sentence would kill me. No thanks :P
"Yep, hand to hand combat is the old school way to kill your enemies. Killing a man with your bare hands says 'We're all equals as men' except I'm slightly more equal because I'm still alive and your dead. Of course dropping a nuke on them from 50 thousand feet is totally acceptable. I mean let's face it, there just not enough time in this world to show everybody the courtesy of a good strangling." -Sarge

Back to top »
Kastor Antilles
Cray

Post Posted: Sat, July 02nd 2011 10:08pm    Post subject:

Quote:
That's why I'm hoping that The Old Republic has an offline, non-paying feature so I can enjoy the game without having to worry about my crappy bandwidth

They won't. Sorry to crush your hopes, but it's just not going to happen. :p They'd essentially have to design two separate games to do that.

I've heard that STO really isn't that great. But I do like MMOs; I play LotRO.
Moff

Post Posted: Sat, July 02nd 2011 10:16pm    Post subject:

Quote:
You wouldn't get me playing. Super hard science where you have to use a calculator for every sentence would kill me. No thanks :P

Star Trek... not Starship Troopers. <_<

Expand

Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Orrion Carn
Orrion Carn

Post Posted: Sat, July 02nd 2011 10:17pm    Post subject:

Kastor Antilles wrote:
Quote:
That's why I'm hoping that The Old Republic has an offline, non-paying feature so I can enjoy the game without having to worry about my crappy bandwidth

They won't. Sorry to crush your hopes, but it's just not going to happen. :p They'd essentially have to design two separate games to do that.

BIOWARE WHY!?!?!?! WHYYYYYYYYYY!?!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgI2ZQVyrBo&feature=related

Back to top »
Ams Jendob
Moff

Post Posted: Sat, July 02nd 2011 11:04pm    Post subject:

Your crushed dreams are sweet, sweet flavoring your bottled tears... mmmm... goes down smooth. :p

Expand

Back to top »
Lucas Pallanén-Davad
Alex

Post Posted: Sat, July 02nd 2011 11:38pm    Post subject:

I've been trying to get Jess to play a ST RPG.

But she also felt overwhelmed by the science of it. I think its more techno babble than anything
 Back to top »
Ams Jendob
Moff

Post Posted: Sun, July 03rd 2011 01:39am    Post subject:

Yeah... the amount of actual, workable science in any given episode of Star Trek is encompassed by a fourth-grade science class or the latest science article on MSN where they jabber about quantum flux migrations or some such nonsense... then have to pull the article when it's smashed to pieces by serious scientific review. :p

Expand

Back to top »
Lucas Pallanén-Davad
Alex

Post Posted: Sun, July 03rd 2011 05:22pm    Post subject:

I am downloading the current patch for the game.... from what I can tell, it looks pretty fun, not something that would last me like three years, but should be fun enough to last me to the end of the year. And $60 for the game and four months to play online wasn't so bad. Plus it was gift, :P

I just got tired of playing ST: Armada 2, I lost the first game. :'(
 Back to top »
Orrion Carn
Orrion Carn

Post Posted: Sun, July 03rd 2011 06:30pm    Post subject:

You got tired of Armada 2!?!

Back to top »
Orrion Carn
Orrion Carn

Post Posted: Mon, July 04th 2011 07:44pm    Post subject:

Quote:
They won't. Sorry to crush your hopes, but it's just not going to happen. They'd essentially have to design two separate games to do that.

You know, the game's plotlines can be played by yourself or with a friend, online. So why couldn't the game be offline, and you be able to play the same adventures minus the interation part of it?

Back to top »
Ams Jendob
Moff

Post Posted: Mon, July 04th 2011 10:02pm    Post subject:

Uh, because then there's no reason for a monthly fee. :p

Expand

Back to top »
Orrion Carn
Orrion Carn

Post Posted: Mon, July 04th 2011 10:41pm    Post subject:

Lock out features/planets/plotlines to premium users only :p

I JUST WANNA PLAY THE DAMN GAME WITHOUT ONLINE! F***ING HUGHESNET!!!

Back to top »
Ams Jendob
Moff

Post Posted: Mon, July 04th 2011 11:37pm    Post subject:

As the meme goes... "LOL Nope"

Expand

Back to top »
Tseneca Lowry-Fink
Jess

Post Posted: Mon, July 04th 2011 11:39pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I've been trying to get Jess to play a ST RPG.

But she also felt overwhelmed by the science of it. I think its more techno babble than anything

what!? I said no such thing. In fact, I think I said it would "eat me alive" meaning I can hold my own in a star wars world, but im not as big a trekkie as I used to be, I can't remember anything about the little details involved to be of much use.

On the other hand.... I wouldn't mind fullfilling my life long dream of being a sexy/smart ships doctor who also does away missions....Just sayin'...

Maybe I will try it...
 Back to top »
Orrion Carn
Orrion Carn

Post Posted: Tue, July 05th 2011 12:50am    Post subject:

Quote:
I wouldn't mind fullfilling my life long dream of being a sexy/smart ships doctor who also does away missions....Just sayin'...

>_>

Back to top »
Ams Jendob
Moff

Post Posted: Tue, July 05th 2011 10:43am    Post subject:

Ah, but what if it was the New Trek... the one with Chris Pine. :p

Expand

Back to top »
Tseneca Lowry-Fink
Jess

Post Posted: Tue, July 05th 2011 11:16am    Post subject:

Quote:
the one with Chris Pine

mmm.... drool....
 Back to top »
Kastor Antilles
Cray

Post Posted: Sat, July 09th 2011 11:19pm    Post subject:

Quote:
You know, the game's plotlines can be played by yourself or with a friend, online. So why couldn't the game be offline, and you be able to play the same adventures minus the interation part of it?

Because all of the quest content, character profiles, and interactive logic is handled by the MMO's servers, not your own computer. All your computer has is the GUI and the images and textures and all it is doing is taking your keyboard/mouse commands and sending it to the server, then displaying the result on the screen (movement animations, battle effects, health bar updates, etc). Your computer is little more than a puppet in an MMO. So if they wanted to make it playable offline and online, they'd have to essentially create an entirely different back end.
Star Wars: Unity Forum Index » The Cantina » Star Trek Online
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: