Main Site Forums Holonet Tools About
Forum Index Rules Log in Search Profile Memberlist Usergroups Log in to check your private messages Register
Tren Drexel's Apartment
Star Wars: Unity Forum Index » Coruscant » Tren Drexel's Apartment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tren Drexel
Cray

Post Posted: Tue, April 20th 2010 02:52pm    Post subject: Tren Drexel's Apartment

I exfoliated every pore and hair on my torso, trying to work out the thin layer of tar and the alcoholic fumes trapped within. I didn't really remember much about the night before - just the important details. It was a lot of fun. I smiled, the water steaming around me. I felt a bit guilty for allowing my control to slip the previous night. But it was a test - I was able to cling tightly to all of Ares' information, even when intoxicated. I passed. So, in a way, it made me more confident in my role.

The beautiful NRI agent Coral came to mind. I couldn't recall how exactly we had parted earlier this morning, but the time up until that was very enjoyable. She was a gem who I would have loved to find and polish again.

Last night also changed my perspective on Jedi - not as an entity, but as individuals. Tavell was as unique as they came. I thought about sneaking some visits to Jedi temples into Ares' schedule, just to see if any other of the Jedi were like that. Most people in the galaxy viewed them as stoic and unapproachable, but there were obviously exceptions.

I scrubbed my chest again, making sure the aroma of decadence was off of me. Ares was to attend a meeting of great import today, and I had to be there to make sure he was in the right place at the right time. The odds of Ares having a night like I just had were pretty high - sometimes he got disorganized. That's why I was so restrictive with my activities, usually; I had to keep Ares on the right course and couldn't afford to screw up. He practically had an assault to deal with today.

Turning the water off, I stepped out of the shower. I looked at body and face in the mirror, splashing cold, crisp water onto my freshly-shaven face. I combed my hair into an appropriate form and then reached for my clothes. It was time for the meeting.
Cray

Post Posted: Tue, June 28th 2011 09:57pm    Post subject:

The buttons popped off with metaphorical alacrity, springing from my outer suit, and then—after the tie was relieved from my neck—dutifully followed the clothing into a pile next to the small couch. The skin on my arms breathed deeply, relishing the chance to commune at last with the air unhindered. I kicked off my shoes and collapsed into the chair, running a hand through my gelled hair. The hand trailed subconsciously around my jaw, and I consciously felt surprise at how smooth it was; I had almost forgotten what it felt like to shave, these past few days, or how it felt to wear a suit.

The room showed it, too. The bed had been unmade for days, and dishes would have been piled in the sink had I had any time to eat at home. It was only a modest apartment, comfortable enough for one (two, in a pinch), not far from Ares' office. It was a dull brown throughout. It was mostly spartan, aside from a sparse population of plants. One was a Chandrilan Heraldplant, its thick, translucent roots—which mounded out of the soil—showing its greedy consumption of water. The plant traveled upward until it culminated in a single fruit so brilliantly jade that it appeared to be a mineral, a prized emerald or turquoise, depending on the season. The fruit, called the Greeneye, was horribly bitter, though, and was produced at the expense of the entire plant: when the Greeneye was mature, the Heraldplant would soon wilt and rot out of exhaustion, and then it would poison its own soil with the contents of its Greeneye. It wouldn't regrow without intervention: it was domesticated in such a way that it simply could not exist without someone retrieving the seeds from the fruit and planting them in fresh soil. In nature it was now useless and enviable; its only purpose was in a garden as a mark of ostentation.

It was the symbol of the Drexel family of Chandrila, its namesake in Old Chandrilan and its sigil, and it was the only thing I bothered to maintain from my family.

But it was more important and more necessary to think about what actually mattered. Ares had done it—Daast was the Commander-in-Chief. Half of the Republic was in uproar, and the other half was slowly merging with the first. She was a smart woman—that much was obvious—and she had saved the Chief of State's life, but many questioned his decision of promoting a Commodore to the position of Commander-in-Chief—even I had had my doubts about her qualifications. That is, until the battle of Selvaris had ended in a clear Republic victory at Daast's command. The success had boosted confidence in Daast (and had prevented a military coup against Ares, probably) and restored faith in the chain of command.

But there was no time to catch my breath. Ares was constantly working, beyond obsession, and I was by his side through all the long days and late nights, almost entranced by the man's strong will. He might not have had any idea what he was doing, but he did it so intently that he couldn't help but inspire people to stand by him. It had been a shock when he'd asked me to represent him and take notes for him at the latest defense meeting. I'd donned my business attire—having worked in short-sleeves and trousers day after hectic day—shaved and been off, shocked back into the real world away from Ares' sanctum.

Daast had been there, I remembered primarily. I couldn't tell how the pressures of the military were affecting her mind, but outwardly at least she projected clarity and calm, just as she had the day of the attack on Rendili. Without her, everyone privy realized, Ares would be a charred corpse. Although not everyone in the military respected Ares Valure, they could recognize loyalty when they saw it. I thought they respected me, too, even though no one outside of the high command knew that I existed; the officers seemed to realize I helped Ares, risking my own life, and so they now thought of me as more than a young boy aiding a eccentric politician. I hoped Kira respected me, too; I knew that—if she could survive these first few weeks—she was en route to fulfilling her role as one of the most powerful beings in the Union, much more the Republic.

We'd talked for some time after the meeting, one-on-one, as I presented Ares' opinions (and my own). I wasn't in much of a place to determine or comment on the strategy of the New Republic—and Kira must have known that—but she nonetheless was interested in my thoughts. I was interested, too.

I sighed and got out of the chair, rinsing the product out of my hair and messing it back to its proper form. Trailing back into the moderately-sized area that contained my bed, holo, and kitchen, I reached into the refrigerator and took the only dark brown bottle from the shelf. After popping the top, I leaned back on the counter of the kitchen and drank with consideration. Wine was my preference, yes, but beer was a was a better relaxant, and I needed it after the disaster of the last few days. I stared forward at an invisible specter and rubbed at my lip. Maybe Ares was rubbing off on me more than I realized.

"Frak" First Previous Next Latest

Star Wars: Unity Forum Index » Coruscant » Tren Drexel's Apartment
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: