Main Site Forums Holonet Tools About
Forum Index Rules Log in Search Profile Memberlist Usergroups Log in to check your private messages Register
What IS Star Wars?
Star Wars: Unity Forum Index » The Cantina » What IS Star Wars?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ams Jendob
Moff

Post Posted: Mon, April 11th 2011 04:41pm    Post subject: What IS Star Wars?

Seriously... what, in your mind, makes Star Wars Star Wars. I mean, any idiot can have triangular spaceships, or death rays, or space Nazis. Or cartoon rabbit-frogs that step in the poopy.

But what makes a Star Wars game a Star Wars game instead of "random sci-fi setting #1701"? To you? Is it just a logo? If there's a Nebulon-B frigate with machine guns and gauss cannons, is it SW or BSG/Mass Effect? Is it a group of characters, which could result in GCW-era stuff like VII/I and Unity being "Star Wars" while KotOR or Legacy aren't?

TELL MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :p

All research goes to the Please God Help Us Save Unity and SWRPGs Foundation.

Expand

----"Moff", CMAC Dreamcrusher, Official Administrative Waldorf and Statler----
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Morgan ZIM
Space Jawa

Post Posted: Mon, April 11th 2011 07:28pm    Post subject:

The setting, I suppose. That it's "A Galaxy Far, Far Away..." rather than being a set in the Milky Way in humanities future where all the humans come from Earth (or settle there, but I'm not sure if anything besides BSG has gone that route with it), along with things like "The Force" rather than just using generic psychic powers for humans with special mental abilities.

Funny thing - the first time I saw part of Star Wars, I saw it on TV when my Dad was watching it and hadn't seen it from the beginning, so when the Death Star blew up Alderaan, I asked if that was suppose to be Earth they'd just destroyed. Silly me. :P
Ams Jendob
Moff

Post Posted: Tue, April 12th 2011 02:22pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The setting, I suppose. That it's "A Galaxy Far, Far Away..." rather than being a set in the Milky Way in humanities future where all the humans come from Earth (or settle there, but I'm not sure if anything besides BSG has gone that route with it), along with things like "The Force" rather than just using generic psychic powers for humans with special mental abilities.

So, as long as we have Tatooine, Coruscant, and telekinetic strangulation... you're happy? Yay! :D

What about the rest of you?

Expand

----"Moff", CMAC Dreamcrusher, Official Administrative Waldorf and Statler----
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Morgan ZIM
Space Jawa

Post Posted: Tue, April 12th 2011 06:07pm    Post subject:

Ams Jendob wrote:
So, as long as we have Tatooine, Coruscant, and telekinetic strangulation... you're happy? Yay! :D

What about the rest of you?

There are other, lesser elements as well, but I'd say yeah, for the most part it comes down to that kind of stuff. It helps if in certain time periods you can have an expectation of certain characters or other set pieces/ships/whathaveyou around unless you have a reason for it (like, for example, Luke, Han, and Leia during the IV-VI period unless it's an AU where there's a good reason they're not present, or the numerous Jedi during the I-III period for the same reason). Not that they have to be in the particular location you might have a story taking place, just that you can safely assume they're out there somewhere.
Star Wars: Unity Forum Index » The Cantina » What IS Star Wars?
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: